What are my chances? Transfer Windows 10 licence from decrepit laptop to new desktop?

Soldato
Being a tight git, I want to avoid having to buy a new Windows licence for my new desktop build. I have an ancient laptop which came with Windows Vista, and at some point it had the free upgrade to Windows 10 Home, and it appears as a device under my list of devices under my Microsoft Account as Windows 10 Home. Since this is on my Microsoft account, can I "Remove this device" for this laptop on my Microsoft account and then subsequently use this install on a new desktop via the "new hardware" path in the activation wizard? Does that basically free up the licence to be used wherever as it where? I know Microsoft has recently clamped down on going from previous versions to 10, but this laptop has already had the upgrade to 10, so how does that figure in to this?

I know cheap keys can get acquired but I what to keep this semi legit, and, as mentioned, an exceptionally tight git. Old laptop will be sacrificed to Linux

Back
Top Bottom