What are the better up to date WiFi connection/hardware options for Windows 10?

Associate
Looking to add Wireless connectivity to my lads and daughters PC's, as since my youngest lad finally updating to Windows 10 he has had some issues and appaling connectivity.
His old USB dongle was a TP-Link TL-WDN3200 N600 dual band adapter, was fine on W7 running 5g network and some decent connection speeds, but now on 10 he is getting 20mb. On top of that we had some random shut down to BIOS events regarding hardware, three times yesterday, the TP-Link stopped working and my lad stated it was very hot when he removed it. Now on another old USB dongle D-Link 140 and still at around 20-30mb.

My daughters single antenna PCI card is probably older than her and she needs an improvement too, also around 20mb. The other lad is using a Mini ITX with a 2.5Ghz single antena loop via two wires on the on board wifi adapter. So USB and PCI options may be required.

I may well be worth investing too, though we have an old Asus RT-AC87U router, and I currently use an old Asus PCI AC-68 wifi adapter on my old W7 system, recently my connection has dropped often yesterday around 200mb, tonight is reasonable at 330mb, and I too have W10 to install. Not sure how the AC68 fares these days, but the last driver was 2017 yet despite running the Asus wesite update links my Device manager says 2015, its update software is appaling, the Utility dowloads then disappears too so cannot manage the adapter from my desktop any more, think I should start looking at newer wireless adapters that have no issues with W10.

Any advice and suggestions would be welcome.

Soldato
I have a Linksys AC1200 adapter that I have been using for well over 2 years now WFH. Has never missed a beat and connected on the 5GHz band to my hub so nice and fast. Running Windows 10 also. Just my 2 cents :)

Back
Top Bottom