• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

what are the odds of this cpu being salveagable? bent pins

Soldato
Looking at the second photo, although it could be the light, there seems to be a pin missing - counting 10 rows from the right and about 11 pins up from the bottom.
but if all the pins are there I have straightened a lot worse, sometimes using a mechanical pencil to cover the bent pin and lift it into an upright position - carefully.!

Same photo - but top left, is that some sort of ectoplasm escaping from the CPU..? If it is then it might have just died as you took the photo.?

Man of Honour
I have seen worse. If you are extremely careful you should be able to straighten them.

In future, before removing the heatsink it's always worth putting some load through the cpu to warm it up and remove the heatsink with a twisting motion.

Associate
Looks more like it was potentially re-seated badley after uninstalling from a tricky socket - if you prised the heatsink off and the CPU came with it there would be rows of pins at similar angles... not random directions... :( I'd defo be attached to earth before starting to straighten them! :p

Associate
Looks more like it was potentially re-seated badley after uninstalling from a tricky socket - if you prised the heatsink off and the CPU came with it there would be rows of pins at similar angles... not random directions... :( I'd defo be attached to earth before starting to straighten them! :p

+1..

They look very strange bent..
Sometimes it happened to me.. With my old Phenom 9850, but they were bent on the same directions, so, I just "carefully" used a credit card to align them as much as I could..

In your case, it seem you would use an eyebrow tweezer to do it, one by one..
Again, veru carefully and gently..

Best regards.. :)

Soldato
just do it very VERY slowly! played about with some old chips before which were dead but had bent pins so i had a fiddle with them.... the slower you move the pins the better :) or they will just strain and snap off (think bending a paper clip over and over.... but much faster at snapping :p ) also they could pop off xD

I wish you the best of luck :) it does look like it's been stepped on a bit xD

Soldato
came off with the heatsink as the AS acted like glue! Has a fair few bent pins :o

That's why you should always twist the heatsink off slowly whenever you remove one. I don't think it's the paste that sticks them together so well but the lack of air and it creating some kind of suction between the two surfaces.

I'd defo be attached to earth before starting to straighten them! :p

Or use a plastic tweezers :)

Possibly salvagable although some of the extremely bent pins will need minimal passes to straighten them or they may succumb to metal fatigue.

Get a ruler or two and use the already straight pins as a guide and go row by row and column by column and that should guarantee them all being straight enough to fit into the socket.

Associate
Looks like riverdance damage...lol Set it in something that grips the cpu and as already slowly bend them back. I have had a few stick to the heatsink, but never bent any pins, if it was twisted prior to coming off that is why it is probably damaged the way it is. What cpu is it?

Associate
OP
ta mate. i was planning on buying a new mobo and going IB.probably still will depending on the outcome of next week for me.

i kinda want to pop the hood and see inside though :D

Soldato
ta mate. i was planning on buying a new mobo and going IB.probably still will depending on the outcome of next week for me.

i kinda want to pop the hood and see inside though :D

All you will see is a rectangular silicon die probably silvery grey but may be purplish with a bit of paste on. If you do the processor will probably still work just the heatsink will sit directly on the die rather than the heatspreader.

andy

Back
Top Bottom