What are your goals for the next decade?

Soldato
Big decade for me, I turn 40 this year.

Towards the end of the decade I will be helping both Kids navigate their gcse's & a-levels and the oldest should be at uni by 2030.

Professionally (teacher) , I would like to continue to skill up and gain experience, specifically teach more a-level. I am interested in working abroad, and that probably needs to be within the next 5 years to avoid impacting on the kids a-levels.

I wouldn't mind moving house but they is a low level ambition at the moment!

Associate
Yes, saving and getting a mortgage around London by yourself would be tougher but not impossible. But buying by yourself is tough anywhere I guess.

What other things do you think you can’t do?

Well if it's tough to get a mortgage on a 50k salary then it's questionable whether it's fair to say you can 'do anything' with it.

The list of things you can't do on 50k is huge. Think of anything that regular people can't afford. Of course, I'm picking holes in the language you used but only because you were very casual with your use of 'anything'.

Associate
I've got 35 houses to build.
I've done plenty of commercial building & development & large individual projects, but not house building on this scale.
I like the pressure though & have already enjoyed the planning & design stages.
Been putting a lot of cash into it for the last 5 years, so I'm hoping I can spend the next 5 years developing & then then latter half investing profits for a slower pace of life going on from 50.

Man of Honour
Well if it's tough to get a mortgage on a 50k salary then it's questionable whether it's fair to say you can 'do anything' with it.

The list of things you can't do on 50k is huge. Think of anything that regular people can't afford. Of course, I'm picking holes in the language you used but only because you were very casual with your use of 'anything'.
Fair enough re: the use of language, but it's only tough on said salary if you're buying alone. With a partner on a broadly similar salary, it's not quite so challenging to save and get a mortgage.

I'm more alluding to the fact that beyond this ~£50k wage bracket, your quality of life probably isn't going to get dramatically better. A slightly shinier car or a flashier holiday, maybe? Meh. Not things that are going to materially affect your general wellbeing, I suggest.

Meanwhile, the difference between £25k and £40k is vast. Since the vast chunk of your take home goes on 'life overheads' until ~£27k, your disposable income pretty much doubles / triples as you approach £40k. God mode, engaged!

More money is, in a vacuum, always better (of course).

Associate
I have a lot of goals, that I want to and need to accomplish.

Later this year I will finish my college course, then I will be looking to find employment to get experience in the field.
Look to find a second income of some kind, I have 3 years (all being well) left to pay all my debt back, I got into trouble around 8 years ago, kept spending & ignoring it, then faced it head on about 2 years ago, its a long and slow process, but I just want to be free from it, then I can finally relax and stop living pay cheque to pay cheque.
So hopefully get a second income for a while to help me pay off my debt quicker.
Get married to my partner.
Finally be able to save money.
Get on my way to starting my own business, with the trade im currently studying, and then learn more.
Improve my health.
Lose weight.
Regain my confidence.
Find inner peace.
Move back closer to home, I moved away just over a year ago, I had to force myself out of my dead end job that I was stuck in for almost 10 years, it mentally and physically destroyed me, moving away and leaving everyone behind felt like the only way out to get myself back, and get my life back on track to what I had intended to do before I started said job, which was go back to college.

Last edited:

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Same as the last 10years OCUK, trying to over the world. Its a 60 year plan and its proceeding nicely........mwhaaaaaaaa

Associate
Build a successful life for my kids and get rid of my wife so that I can be happy again. For years now I’ve been living a life that wasn’t mine. I’ve had enough now so want to build a nice life for my kids and eventually be happy myself one day

Man of Honour
No, I moved within the company to a new position. However, it's not motivating at all and they now want to radically change my working hours (to include weekends). I left sales (and took a huge paycut) to get out of weekend working so it's a bit of a slap in the face.

Been with this company around 7 years now, and there's no progression or anything. Feel like I've wasted so much time. Also, my position doesn't really exist outwith my current company so it's not a case of "oh, I'm a software engineer so I can go and work there, there and there." I'm applying for jobs, but not getting anywhere with it.

Bah!
Good luck but you don’t need it, I’m sure you will achieve your goal.

Back
Top Bottom