• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What back GPU/s do you have ?

Associate
Agreed, you certainly don't need a backup with modern systems as the cpu contains one!
Unless you have a KF cpu and motherboard without hdmi out like me lol.

I think that aside, a backup gpu would be handy to game on if you were without your graphics card for a lengthy amount of time e.g long drawn out warranty claim.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have tried to keep a full second rig on hand since the Covid / mining shortages. When people come to me for a build, I usually just sell the backup PC and roll the money into another project. (Upgrade primary or build another backup)

I guess that makes a 4080S my current backup.

Associate
Bet that runs nice and cool, I modded the cooling on several cards in the past. The best was the AMD 4850 I had. Ran at 80-90c with its stock cooler, ran at about 45c at its warmest with an Arctic Accelero (I think), ramsinks and a 140mm case fan.

Quiet as a mouse that 4850 was.
Ah, I remember the Arctic Accelero, I have one on the X850 XT Platinum Edition 256MB AGP card on the Windows 98 machine. Just low enough power where it can be left fanless. CPU also has fanless cooler (Old P4 1.8Ghz). So it's sort of my first (nearly) full passive PC (let down by PSU I guess, but that fan is hardly on either). :)

The RX580 was quiet but not cool, would still reach 75-80C, but that's because I had the fans on like 40% at most. Allowed the heatsink to soak a bit so it was more silent.

Associate
Ah, I remember the Arctic Accelero, I have one on the X850 XT Platinum Edition 256MB AGP card on the Windows 98 machine. Just low enough power where it can be left fanless. CPU also has fanless cooler (Old P4 1.8Ghz). So it's sort of my first (nearly) full passive PC (let down by PSU I guess, but that fan is hardly on either). :)

The RX580 was quiet but not cool, would still reach 75-80C, but that's because I had the fans on like 40% at most. Allowed the heatsink to soak a bit so it was more silent.
I had the Accelero as well but on a Powercooler HD3850 512mb. Time flies huh?

Soldato
Bet that runs nice and cool, I modded the cooling on several cards in the past. The best was the AMD 4850 I had. Ran at 80-90c with its stock cooler, ran at about 45c at its warmest with an Arctic Accelero (I think), ramsinks and a 140mm case fan.

Quiet as a mouse that 4850 was.
I had a 4870x2 that I put an Accelero on boy did it it need it lol

Back
Top Bottom