What benefit is there for UK Fracking ?

Fracking has been going on for years in the UK for oil but on a small scale. Gas fracking is new but the risks are hugely overblown by the media and activists.

If the UK insisted that it was the only customer at a fixed rate and then sold it on per customer basis to the energy companies it would have a transformative effective on UK productivity. We might see our energy costs drop hugely, then heavy industry might re-open and new energy intensive industries be opened. The consequent knock on of the suppot business to those industries would drive huge stnadard of living improvements within the country.

If we allow it to be sold on the open market it will do very little for the UK. We need to be selfish.

We could have had a fracking industry like the US if only we'd started earlier. Like over 250 millions years ago.

Even ignoring everything else our geology means it's not feasible at scale.

Pros: gas energy
Cons: fossil fuel/CO2, expensive, some risks around earthquakes although in the UK I don't think we have to worry, safety concerns although I assume they know what they're doing - if it blows up the company needs to foot all the clean up bills not the government, its finite.

Fracking has been going on for years in the UK for oil but on a small scale. Gas fracking is new but the risks are hugely overblown by the media and activists.

If the UK insisted that it was the only customer at a fixed rate and then sold it on per customer basis to the energy companies it would have a transformative effective on UK productivity. We might see our energy costs drop hugely, then heavy industry might re-open and new energy intensive industries be opened. The consequent knock on of the suppot business to those industries would drive huge stnadard of living improvements within the country.

If we allow it to be sold on the open market it will do very little for the UK. We need to be selfish.

But sadly we know it will be the latter. The Tories arent doing this for the benefit of the country.

When they did the fracking last time, I live in Greater Manchester and felt the tremors twice in my house. I'm not sure which fracking site it was from. But I remember the story of tremors appeared on the BBC news site.

I've also found out recently that fracking releases methane in to the atmosphere. This as hardly been mentioned in the usual sources.

some risks around earthquakes although in the UK I don't think we have to worry

Last time it was active there was a number of ~2.5-2.8 quakes which appeared to be connected to the activity. We don't generally get that type of activity. I don't really know what the wider consequences and/or disruption of that might be though.

Anyone else find it hilarious when people use Earthquakes as an argument against fracking, yet completely neglect to mention the magnitudes we're talking about, talk about misinformation

Earthquakes are a release of built up friction between rocks, its not magic, having smaller ones more often could be considered a benefit, and I'm sure (without checking) that the fracking industry tells us that.

I remember the 2002 one, sounded like someone trying to break into the shop below me at the time. I went straight back to sleep. :)

Last edited:
More profits for the energy producers.

Since any Gas extracted via Fracking will just get sold on the open market.

Which then also means tax revenues. 19% corporation tax, and additional 10% tax charges on extraction companies, plus 25% levy.

Would competition laws and the various laws around government subsidies even allow for the UK to do that? Look at all the trouble Ireland had with their 'free' water

Would competition laws and the various laws around government subsidies even allow for the UK to do that? Look at all the trouble Ireland had with their 'free' water
Honestly don't know. We're not in the EU anymore but I don't know what international barriers there would be. I can see how it might be state aid. Alternatively just close the interconnectors to the EU then there is no outflow route so the gas has to be sold domestically.

It's a fair challenge though.

Yeah only estimated 1 quadrillion BTUs of gas in one field alone totally not worth it..... Enough to run the world for a day.. it's very worth it.
This is a subject where knowledge and expertise should rule not nimby nonsense and media scare stories.
Extraction will happen if the price and need and political desire allows it.

One thing for sure is that Europeans need to rethink the way energy is sold and I hope everyone speaks up when you get a chance.
UK is already producing more than it consumes.

Last edited:
Yeah only estimated 1 quadrillion BTUs of gas in one field alone totally not worth it..... Enough to run the world for a day.. it's very worth it.
This is a subject where knowledge and expertise should rule not nimby nonsense and media scare stories.
Extraction will happen if the price and need and political desire allows it.

One thing for sure is that Europeans need to rethink the way energy is sold and I hope everyone speaks up when you get a chance.
UK is already producing more than it consumes.
The founder of Cuadrilla disagrees and they are estimates.

Typically when deeper analysis was done last time round only around 10% of estimates was found to be viable.

Plus it's not like the deposits in the US, here the geology makes it far harder to extract (even if it is still there and no long gone).

Edit: Here's a geologist's view from a Professor at the University of Edinburgh that highlights a few of the issues (besides environmental ones) Link

Last edited:
I have used the earthquake argument before but tbh there are a whole bunch of reasons why frakking is bad, methane, CO2 or just plain old expense.
we are an island, arguably one of the best suited countries in the world to go net zero with on shore/off shore wind, solar and tidal with a base of nuclear (admittedly I don't like nuclear but it is a necessary "evil" for now. I would like more investigations into thorium however)

imo we should use what traditional gas we have access to already and are already taking whilst we transition away from it (renewables should have been pushed way more than they were (getting rid of that green crap sentiment sums up why we are in this problem imo))

obviously storage is also an issue but that is where the interconnects help. If it's windy here chances are it may not be in France and if it's still here , it may not be elsewhere (and France have a lot of nuclear as well which they are happy to share esp if we are supplying them as well)

imo frakking is the last form of energy we should be gunning for

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom