What book are you reading...

Soldato
I agree with you. I've now read approx. 1100 pages ( between the two books ) and the plot seems to be advancing at a glacial rate. I'm no better informed regards the lore/history of the world than I was after the first few chapters of the first book. It's really hard to see just how Rothfuss can provide closure to this series in a satisfying way for the reader. I have my own theory as to what he will do .... but I won't say it here as I don't want to give away any spoilers.

Stick it in spoiler tags, I'll read it. Like many here I'll finish it as I'm a completionist but I'm not massively fussed re spoilers.

The only 2 series I have failed to finish is the Thomas Covenant (self involved whining dragged out) and the Pandora Star series by Peter Hamilton (no focus and lots of filler) if the third book starts slowly Rothfuss could fall into that list :p

Soldato
I'm still stuck on book 2 of the Kingkiller Chronicles.
My enjoyment of these improved once I realised these aren't really novels, they're collections of short stories cobbled together with some puzzling filler.

If you search for Triangulation Rothfuss you'll find an almost 2 hour interview which helped me understand how these books came to be so long and unfocused. There's a podcast version somewhere on Laporte's site.

While I'm here, I'm getting towards the end of Abercrombie's First Law series and although I struggled to give a monkey's about any characters for most of the first volume, things did eventually start to involve me and I now see why people enjoy them. One thing in his favour is that like Rothfuss he never falls into the trap of leaving you in one plot thread for too long (even when you might prefer him to!) and chapters are very digestible. That helps drag you through the less satisfying chunks.

Last edited:
Associate
So got the diablo archive for christmas and have started reading demonsbane,just been trying to load up on some diablo.lore while I await the expansion.tbh lol

One

One

Soldato
I finished Dance With Dragons a while ago and am working my way through Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk which so far has been awesome, I can only imagine how good it would have been if I didn't know the secret from watching the film.

I got Ham on Rye by Bukowski from Christmas which was a nice surprise by someone who has obviously been looking at my bookshelf :p. Already on my bookshelf are Post Office, Factotum, and Women. I haven't read Women yet though.

Soldato
I finished The Fear Index by Robert Harris yesterday. That's pretty good.

I just started Zlatan Ibrahimovich's autobiography. Not bad, but whoever translated it needs to learn some synonyms for "awesome"...

Soldato
Just started Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan. Began The Eye Of The World in mid-September, so been doing a lot of reading over the last few months (including a 3 week RJ break!). Going to see if I can finish the whole series within a year. :)

I read through to book 9 about ten years ago, then to book 4-5 a couple of years later. Had TEOTW sat on my bedside table for 5 years, and would always take it on holiday but would end up reading another book.

Really looking forward to getting through the next 9 books or so, but am terrified of seeing a spoiler online (already seen a basic spoiler on a map a month ago!).

4p

4p

Soldato
I finished The Fear Index by Robert Harris yesterday. That's pretty good.

I just started Zlatan Ibrahimovich's autobiography. Not bad, but whoever translated it needs to learn some synonyms for "awesome"...

If you haven't read Fatherland and Archangel I recommend those, love his books.

Haven't read Fear index yet though..

Soldato
Still reading through A Clash of Kings but also adding "Bad Science" as my sciencey supplement and "I Partridge, we need to talk about Alan" because I need something funny!

Soldato
Just finished Jennifer Morgue by Stross and now reading 2 of his snook short stories Down the Farm and Overtime.

Will read a bit more Jo Nesbo after this probably.

Though I have a few books from Xmas to read so I'm not sure :p

Back
Top Bottom