What book are you reading...

Associate
Why We Sleep

Ironically enough going to stop using phone and just read on my Kindle before bed so felt a fitting book to start with.
Read this back in 2021. Completely changed by approach to sleep. After getting a sleep tracker I realised I was getting no where near as much sleep as I thought, and as I need!

Soldato
Read this back in 2021. Completely changed by approach to sleep. After getting a sleep tracker I realised I was getting no where near as much sleep as I thought, and as I need!
Mine has been awful most of my life so fingers crossed helps me.

Soldato
I have tried to get into the two series of books that have been adapted to TV series by the author Ann Cleaves, both the "Vera" and "Shetland" series.
The two TV series are thoroughly enjoyed but if the first of the Vera books, "The Crow Trap" is anything to go by, and it does seem typical, then I'll give them all a pass.
I got to the point of being almost half way and still Vera has not turned up. Whilst I appreciate that there can be a certain amount of background detail that is going to be covered with some authors, in this book it seems to be done three times, from differing perspectives of some of the characters involved.
That's over 200 pages read where I felt that I was reading and rereading a most similar story to arrive.............I don't know as I lost interest...!
IIRC the book is over 500 pages in total.

I'll stick to the TV shows :)

Very different to the Mark Billingham Inspector Tom Thorne books, those I very much enjoyed.

Soldato
This is last year's reading, minus a dozen-ish library books/ books given away.

20240104-144212.jpg

Soldato
The best books i read last year:

The Wooden Star, by William Tenn. Very entertaining scifi short stories. I'd never read any of his stories before, and he is now one of my favourite writers.

The Maneaters of Kumaon, by Jim Corbett. In 1920s India, if a tiger was killing people you asked Mr Corbett for help. He took huge risks (maneating tiger that has already killed 200 people, in a forest at night, on his own!) to help people he didn't know. This is his memoir. It's a fantastic read.

The Post Birthday World, by Lionel Shriver. A woman either leaves her partner, or doesn't. Alternate chapters tell both stories.

Last edited:
Associate
When you check out books at a library or even a store in person, how do you find the best way to see if a book is part of series? I checked out a book from the library today, it's a history book on the Roman Empire, although apparently this is actually the third book in the series. While I get it doesn't make much difference to my case since it's all historical, I do find I at times end up buying books, or checking out books that end up not being the first in the series. So I'll put off reading that until I can start from the first book.
Bit late, but try https://www.fantasticfiction.com/
Excellent site for checking an authors previous work

Associate
Finally caved in to all the fantasy hype and decided to read Of Blood and Fire by Ryan Cahill. Lots of familiar tropes, but it's done well and is a fast read considering the page count.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Been reading the count of monte cristo for months, finally at 98% and can't wait for it to finish.
Not a big fan, I found it quite laborious.

Have to say, most of the older classics I have read haven't really made a deep impact on me. Its interesting to be able to relate their themes and style to their effect on pop culture but sometimes they don't really stand up any more.

I read dracula recently and it was brilliant in places and a bit of a slog in others. Fascinating for the above reasons though.

Associate
Been reading the count of monte cristo for months, finally at 98% and can't wait for it to finish.
Not a big fan, I found it quite laborious.
I figured that life is too short... If i don't like a book after an hour or 2 then i don't finish and move on to the next...
There are way too many books to read to be stuck on something you don't like...

On classics though, I went to Rome on my own for a few days years ago, and I read Dante's Inferno Which was a great read sat in a café in the middle of all that history...

Associate
I figured that life is too short... If i don't like a book after an hour or 2 then i don't finish and move on to the next...
There are way too many books to read to be stuck on something you don't like...

On classics though, I went to Rome on my own for a few days years ago, and I read Dante's Inferno Which was a great read sat in a café in the middle of all that history...
I thought it was going to get better though.

dun

dun

Soldato
Just started the last Culture, The Hydrogen Sonata. Surface Control was really good too, very interesting overall plot with regards to the hells and the morality of them. Player of Games and Look to Windward have probably been my favourite two so far.
Just finished Consider Phlebas for about the 4th time but have never completed the series.

Back
Top Bottom