What cable (Xbox360 to HDTV)?

Associate
Hi all. My son has just bought a HD ready LCD telly and it has the following inputs:

Scart x2
PC VGA
HDMI
Component (Y,Pb/Cb, Pr/Cr)
Composite video

Now I know you can get an Xbox36 to VGA cable...is this the best (only) one to go for?

Thanks for reply. I know that the standard cable can be used but thought VGA or component might give a higher definition picture.

Briton said:
Thanks for reply. I know that the standard cable can be used but thought VGA or component might give a higher definition picture.

VGA is thought to give a better picture but more washed out colours.

I use VGA but only because my component connection is used already. I really noticed no difference in quality but the colours were slightly washed out, however this was sorted by changing TV settings and there are now options on the 360 Dashboard to change something which gives better colour via VGA.

It really depends on the TV I think. Just use component if I were you.

ScarySquirrel said:
VGA is thought to give a better picture but more washed out colours.

I use VGA but only because my component connection is used already. I really noticed no difference in quality but the colours were slightly washed out, however this was sorted by changing TV settings and there are now options on the 360 Dashboard to change something which gives better colour via VGA.

It really depends on the TV I think. Just use component if I were you.

This was fixed in a recent update, apparently component and vga are of comparable quality now.

If you have a component cable and the tv has the connection available just use that.

Briton said:
Depends what you mean by standard cable. If you have core then you just get a composite cable with it (yellow video plus red/white audio), which you should not use since it's SD only and awful. If you have a premium then you get a combined component/composite cable (red, green and blue video (component), yellow video (composite), red/white audio) and you should definitely be using component and not composite with that lead.

Last edited:
It depends on what Panel you have. After the update VGA seems to give excellent results but on TV's it's not the case. I think it was NokkonWud who stated his Tosh WLT66 was rubbish through VGA but great through Component.

i use VGA on my 20", i find that if the settings on the monitor isnt right then it doesnt look as nice.

i just select "Game" from the options on the monitor i got and looks nice.

Samsung LE32R7
VGA very slightly sharper image than component, colours are fractionally less processed and glossy looking, if anything they look more natural than washed out.

I also have a WLT66 and it looks horrible (as if you have the backlight/brightness right up and the contrast right down) through VGA compared to component.

Dreamcast through VGA looks pretty good though.

Go figure.

Im about to order a SAMSUNG LE32R88BD 32"

but no idea what cables i need to connect my premium 360, will the supllied cables be ok or should i get the VGA cable mentioned in this thread ? or is there another cable i can buy for the hdmi sockets on the tv ?

CSA said:
Im about to order a SAMSUNG LE32R88BD 32"

but no idea what cables i need to connect my premium 360, will the supllied cables be ok or should i get the VGA cable mentioned in this thread ? or is there another cable i can buy for the hdmi sockets on the tv ?

Just use the Component cable that came with it (Red, Blue and Green plugs)

Back
Top Bottom