What cables/extensions do I need with this rig for my first ever build?

Associate
Hi again. Emarassing question incoming:)

Since this will be my first ever build, and i've never bought individual components before. I was wondering whether somebody experienced would mind clarifying whether these components come with all the required cables in order for the system to boot? And if necessary, possibly some extensions, and ties for cable-management so I can keep the cables hidden.

• *OVERCLOCKED* Intel Core i5 750 2.66Ghz @ 4.00GHz / Gigabyte GA-P55-UD5 Intel P55 Motherboard / Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) PC3-12800C9 1600MHz DDR3 Bundle
  • 1GB Sapphire HD 5870
  • Sony AD-5240S-0B 24x DVDR 12xDVDDL DVDRW x8/-RWx6 SATA Black
  • 1TB Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3, SATA 3Gb/s, 7200rpm, 32MB Cache, 8.9 ms, NCQ, OEM
  • Antec 902 case.
  • Samsung SM2443BW 24" Monitor
  • 650W Corsair CMPSU-650TX
If anybody was able to clarify exactly what I need (if the some of the components listed don't come with all the cables) I'll be appreciate it a lot.

Thanks.

SS.

J.B

J.B

Soldato
Cable ties are always handy to have around.

There will be plenty of SATA cables provided with the mobo.

That PSU will probably come with a kettle lead so you should be good to go!

Soldato
The case should come with cables for switches and LED displays (like power led, hard disk led ETC), the motherboard should come with a good selection of SATA and IDE cables (if the motherboard still has an IDE socket). The monitor should come with either a VGA or more likely a DVI cable and a power cable. The PSU should come with a power cable.

Some cases do include cable ties, but its probably wise to just buy some rat's tails and then you can make a tidy job of it. Some Antec cases have the PSU at the bottom, I have found that not all PSU's cables are long enough to make a really tidy job of it which can be annoying. However it will be long enough to build a working system, just have to sacrifice some of the neatness.

Im sure someone on here will know if the PSU your looking at has decent length in its cables though :p

All in all you will have enough cables supplied to build the computer, and it should be ok to build a fairly tidy job, but perfection can be trickey with the Antec cases.

I know the Seasonic M12's ATX+12 cable was too short in the Antec 902, and I had to just run it across the top of the graphics card diagonally across the case to the connector at the top of the motherboard :(.

Its actually quite annoying as the antec case has holes where you can hide the cables away behind the motherboard plate, but few PSU's have long enough cables to use them :(

Associate
The last monitor i bought didnt come with a DVI cable so you might want to get one of them, but it will most likely come with a VGA so you will still be able to use it, but i'd suggest buying a DVI cable once you know whether or not it comes with one =]

Back
Top Bottom