What can i do with this old Mach 2 GT?

Soldato
I have this which has been lumped in my room doing nothing, I'm getting rid of things and am unsure if this should be just thrown out, or sold if it's worth anything. The unit itself used to power on but it hasn't been checked in a long time. The LCD worked but the unit stopped starting up supposedly due to too many cheat starts, so the thought was that the gas had all leaked out and needs refilling.

It's heavy and awkward to carry. I managed to find a site which states the weight as being 19.5kg https://www.pcstats.com/articles/1793/2.html i cannot get my scales to show anywhere near that, so i don't know if that site is wrong, or if my scales are off.
Anyone have any clue on that? And what should i do with it?

2GT.jpg

Soldato
I had a few of those phase coolers back in the day - Vapochill and couple of the Mach 2 - think they all got EEE in the end.

Problem is they were designed for a time when CPU was one core and way lower TDP so would just be overwhelmed with new stuff even if adapted.

Might be able to sell it but shipping will be a lot - can weigh by weighing yourself and then you plus holding the unit then the difference is the Mach 2 - that's how can weigh when stuff doesn't really fit onto scales.

Soldato
Seems I remember something about these cooling as much as -65c with no head and -30c with 200w of heat. 30c drop at 200w load is pretty good, but not sure it's worth expense of getting it repaired and re-charged.
To re-charge you would need to know what coolant it uses, and get some. Assuming it has fittings for evacuating and recharging, would need gas (likely R134 or R22), vacum pump and gauges to evacuate system and re-charge it. I think R22 has been phased out. Can get R410A at auto parts shops and some building supplies. It's commonly used in air conditioning for case and buildings.

Associate
Had one of these back in the day, if i remember right i had a 3200+ barton chip running at 3ghz... was really awesome bit of kit! had to fill out the socket with dialetric grease.

i put it on ebay and it fetched like £8 with £20 postage.... about 8 years ago.

Think it cost me over 500? feels like a lifetime ago but fun times, i was only around 19 at the time :<

Soldato
OP
Seems I remember something about these cooling as much as -65c with no head and -30c with 200w of heat. 30c drop at 200w load is pretty good, but not sure it's worth expense of getting it repaired and re-charged.
To re-charge you would need to know what coolant it uses, and get some. Assuming it has fittings for evacuating and recharging, would need gas (likely R134 or R22), vacum pump and gauges to evacuate system and re-charge it. I think R22 has been phased out. Can get R410A at auto parts shops and some building supplies. It's commonly used in air conditioning for case and buildings.
I meant to come back to this earlier, I still have it and have been decluttering other things in the meantime. If I were to use it then It would also need a new head for newer CPUs wouldn't it? I recall a while back that it would have to be replaced to cover bigger chips.

I think I might just have it taken away then, seems mostly worthless these days?
Had one of these back in the day, if i remember right i had a 3200+ barton chip running at 3ghz... was really awesome bit of kit! had to fill out the socket with dialetric grease.

i put it on ebay and it fetched like £8 with £20 postage.... about 8 years ago.

Think it cost me over 500? feels like a lifetime ago but fun times, i was only around 19 at the time :<
Yeah these cooled amazingly well, I remember chip temp being below 0. It was around £500. Unfortunately I must have had some kind of problem with my motherboard AFAIK, where it would crash quite often even at stock settings and the RAM kept dying even after multiple RMAs. Became a major headache.

If you only got 8 quid for it I might just dump it then, I mean any money is better than none but it's a PITA for almost a tenner considering the weight in a small awkward size etc..

It's taking up room and I have more to get rid of, I recently sold an ASUS 8800GT and still have another to get rid of, I should've sold these a while ago and not when they're worth peanuts though lol.

Back
Top Bottom