What can i re-use from my laptop?

Associate
Hi All

I'm looking to upgrade my worn out battered Alienware laptop for a shiny new Desktop rig, but am confused about what I can re-use.

Mainly looking for answers to the following
Win10
250GB SSD
i7 CPU -(its 2nd gen I think so not really needed but good to know if I can re-use)

I'm a bit of a novice but wouldn't mind a challenge in recycling some bits for my build

Thanks!

Associate
Is the Win 10 OEM or retail? If the latter you can re-use.

250GB SSD - Can be re-used if you need

i7 CPU - 2600k? If so these are still decent by todays standard.

I guess the most important part is your budget and what you want to use it for, whether you need peripherals/monitor etc.

Associate
OP
I can probably stretch to £1500, I think it's a 2600k but i'll have to check when home.
So a laptop SSD will fit ok in a desktop as it's SATA in both? Will I need any special housing for it to go inside my new case?

Associate
The windows 10 license would be bound to the hardware so that can't be transferred.

The SSD might be reusable, but if it's a SATA2 drive then you'd be better off getting a new SSD (or even go for an M.2 NVMe SSD which would be a lot faster)

The CPU wouldn't be usable since it's likely to be soldered onto the board in some way and even if it wasn't, it is likely to use a different socket type and wouldn't work with current boards.

A majority of cases would have provisions for 2.5" drives, so you would only have to secure the drive in the respective place and you're good to go.

Associate
£1500 sounds like a decent amount to me to get yourself a decent setup mate, I wouldn't bother trying to re-use anything with that budget personally, you can always pop the 240GB SSD in as an additional drive.

Associate
I agree with a budget of £1500.00 sell or keep the laptop and just get a shiny new gaming desktop.

Perhaps use the funds from laptop sale for shiny new monitor?

This is exactly what I thought. You have budget already for a nice rig, sell laptop as is, and add a nice screen.

Back
Top Bottom