What CC for your first bike?

Soldato
So I may be taking the plunge on a bike for my commute. All countryside lanes.

Was going to start on a 125 but a couple of experienced bikers have said not to and just go larger. Gives you bad habits apparently as you are just maxing the bike all the time. Is this true?

I am lucky that the missus works for Honda so we can get a 'staff' bike for peanuts, £30 pm and hand back after 6000 miles for a new one.

Soldato
OP
Cool - I presume you've looked into the cost to get your full licence? it'll be around £600-£1000 in total.

£120 CBT
£30 (?) theory test
£500-£900 for 4-5 days of training and tests - somone might be able to reccomend a trainer near you.

You'll train and do your tests on a 600cc+ bike, the CBT will normally be on a 125. I'm guessing you're over 24 so you'll get a full A unrestricted licence.

A Honda will be a perfect first bike, I'd look at the CB650f, NC750S or NC750X - or the 500 range (personally I'd ignore these though).

I have a CB400 (50ish bhp) and something with that sort of power (as the NC750 and 500 range has) is plenty fast for a first bike - 0-60 in around 5 seconds, comfortably faster than most cars off the line. It's only when getting up over 60mph that it starts to get a little slow, and you need to be in the right gear to overtake, that's not a problem on the NC750x as it's got torque all the way from 1500rpm.

Yeah, I'm nearly 40. Maybe I am having a midlife crysis.:o

Was actually looking at the CB650F. Like I said, I can get one for £30 or so a month. Seems stupid not to. We've already got two Honda cars, their staff scheme is pretty epic.

The GF's family are all massive bikers as well. Her Dad has just bought a KTM adventure bike and one of her younger brothers has a Kawasaki superbike of some sorts. They are both riding down to Portugal in the next few weeks to meet up with one of her other brothers who lives down in Sagres to go riding. I want that kind of adventure in my life!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Please tell it's not £30 pm insured as well? Even if not, that's dirt cheap! No gear indicator isn't too much of an issue, you just tend to try and change into 7th every so often! :D

And european bike trips are all part of the fun of biking, even better if you have people to go with.

All in. Same with the cars. Just collect them, put petrol in and hand them (the cars) back after 12000 miles. Think the bikes are 6000 miles. We have a CR-V as the family wagon and her car, I have a Civic Sport.

She can get a Civic Type-R under the scheme but it is the only car that they will not let partners drive. :(

She is on about getting a CRF450XR for green laning! She has to get her CBT for working there anyway.

We went to some BSB races last year as guests AND she is going to the TT for the whole week this year.

I'm not going.

It's funny as my family are against getting bikes and all of hers are saying go go go.

Back
Top Bottom