What CPU Cooler should i get for my Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Associate
Hey!

I would like to ask you for advice on choosing a processor cooler.
The processor for which I am looking for cooling: 7800X3D.
I have a Corsair 5000D case.
The motherboard is an Asus Strix B650E-E and I use G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB memory.
Basically, I haven't even decided whether I will use Air cooling or AIO.
What you need to know is that during the winter, the temperature of the room where the PC will be is roughly between 20-22 celsius. In summer, it can reach 26-30 celsius.
My financial limit for the cooler is a maximum of 200 euros. In this price range, it doesn't matter how much it costs, I'm willing to pay more for minimally better cooling.
These coolers are on my list, but if you recommend something else, I'd be happy to accept it as well:
  1. Peerless Assassin 120 Black
  2. Noctua NH-D15S with offset AM5 mounting bars and + 1 fan
  3. Noctua NH-U12A with offset AM5 mounting bars
  4. EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB
I want to be able to achieve the best possible temperature values with the quietest possible device. I shouldn't have to pay attention to when the processor takes the clock back because it's too hot.

What else I would like to ask you for feedback on is whether to worry about leakage in the case of the AIO specified here? One of my nightmares is that the AIO is leaking in my machine.

Please, if you can, justify your answers.

Soldato
Get the Thermalright Phantom Spirit, it can be had for the same price as the Peerless Assassin at around £30, it's essentially the same thing but with an extra heatpipe. There's absolutely no point in spending two or three times that on something like an AiO or nh-d15.

Last edited:
Associate
I swapped a NH-D15 (just one fan fitted) to a PS120 and was getting the same temps on a 5800X3D. Considering it's 3X the price and a lot bigger, it's hard to recommend the Noctua anymore. They're going to have to do some serious magic with the next gen NH-D15 to make it seem compelling.

Associate
The 7800x3D isn't difficult to cool so from a performance front you're not going to struggle. The Phantom Spirit is easily the best value of the bigger air coolers, and I wouldn't spend on a Noctua unless you really want the fans. If you want bling it'll be the EK-Nucleus AIO.

If I was getting an AIO though I wouldn't bother with EK, I'd get a Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer III 360 A-RGB. I have a fair few EK watercooling components from years gone by, but I really don't see the value proposition in them anymore. (Probably true of watercooling in general though!)

Last edited:
Soldato
7800x3D is rated 125w TDP.
Phantom Spirit 120 SE has 7x 6mm heatpipes.
Frost Commander 140 has 5x 8mm heatpipes.
Both cool neck and neck at loads up to and over 200w.
Either one will cool your 7800x3D very well.

One 7800x3D owner using Phantom Spirit 120 reposts idling at 40C gaming in high 50s - low 60s and Cinebenching in low 80s.
I think Peerless Assassin 120 SE will be maybe a coupe of degrees warmer on 7800x3D.

Soldato
I have the NH-D15 (which is your option number 2 all in 1 box) and it has served me well for the last 8 years or so in a Fractal R5 case, if I set it to full rpm at night so theres minimum ambient then I can just about hear it but its not intrusive by any means.

You may also find this recent thread helpful: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/7800x3d-cooler-selection-help.18983883/
+1 on the NH-D15, can always add a second fan if necessary but i've had no issues myself.

Associate
+1 on the NH-D15, can always add a second fan if necessary but i've had no issues myself.
Thanks to Noctua's slightly odd naming system the NH-D15 has both fans, the NH-D15S has just 1 fan (presumably the S means single?).

My comment is about the dual fan installation for anyone who finds that useful (for other coolers with the Noctua fans etc.)

Back
Top Bottom