What difference does this make?

Associate
Trying to improve the connection from my wireless router (downstairs) to my laptop (upstairs) and think I've tried pretty mcuh every setting apart from changing the channel.

What difference does using the different channels on a wireless router make, and how do you know which to use?

Associate
AFAIK the channel is irrelevant, it's just the frequency at which the base station gives out the signal.

the best thing to do is to move it upstairs.

also try decreasing the security.... depends how badly you need the security. Making the wireless connection invisible and only allowing a specific IP to connect is good enough for me. Using WEP decreases the range.

Caporegime
The only time it would make any odds would be if there was something interfering with the connection at that frequency.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions.

Can't move it upstairs (the laptop is supposed to be downstairs anyway really) as the house is Cat5 networked and the centre of the network is downstairs, so the router needs to be there for that (my main pc is wired to the network.)

As for security there are several wireless networks around that I can pick up from the house (not all protected) so I'd rather keep the WPA and MAC filtering turned on, just in case.

Will play around with the channels anyway to see what happens. Thansk guys.

Associate
although there isn't much of a range, you think to radio wave signals:

higher frequency signals will travel through objects better, but with severe distance hinderance. (FM)

lower frequency signals (ie mw/lw) will travel further, but will be easily blocked or interfered with.

I suppose in theory it will still apply to RF networks, but could be very very insignificant.

Alex

Back
Top Bottom