What do I need to upgrade for 4k gaming?

Soldato
MSI B450 MAX II m/b
Ryzen 5600X
Ballistix 16Gb Ram @3600MHz
Sapphire RX6600XT Nitro
EVGA Supernova 850w PSU

that is not fair off the system i had 3 months ago and it did 1440p mid/high setting just fine(60FPS).
grab a 6800 and a good 1440 165hz monitor and you will be vert happy. TBF with @tamzzy if you want to game at 4k you need to drop 1k or more into the system plus the monitor.
then not even joking next week a game will come out and your setup will not be upto it

MSI B450 MAX II m/b
that is pcie3.0 and in 99% of cases this is fine but if your chasing 4k at high FPS you want 4.0 so the gpu's you get can stretch it legs.

Last edited:
Soldato
grab a 6800 and a good 1440 165hz monitor and you will be vert happy.
This is what I tried to talk my nephew into doing (As I did the same with my sons)...

then not even joking next week a game will come out and your setup will not be upto it
...for pretty much the same reasons - plus, considerable drop in FPS in some of his shooters.

MSI B450 MAX II m/b
For ref: same motherboard I used in my kid's and nephew's builds. Great board when released and fulfilled its upgrade brief...

Last edited:
Soldato
For ref: same motherboard I used in my kid's and nephew's builds. Great board when released and fulfilled its upgrade brief...

its defo a good board, but if your pushing a high end GPU to 4K limits you need pcie 4.0
on the 6600xt there is zero difference, but 6800xt pushing hard... it need to bandwidth

Last edited:
Soldato
its defo a good board, but if your pushing a high end GPU to 4K limits you need pcie 4.0
on the 6600xt there is zero difference, but 6800xt pushing hard... it need to bandwidth
True - and always worth emphasising in threads like this.

Man of Honour
TBF with @tamzzy if you want to game at 4k you need to drop 1k or more into the system plus the monitor.
which was my point with my initial post (ofc semi-phrased with a d-bag tone)

4K is overrated if one has to turn the graphics settings down lol
high resolution low quality polygons at low refresh rates...that's what's 4k gaming is like without the adequate GPU horsepower :p

Soldato
OP
Meant to say currently at 120hz 1080P - I like games like No Man's Sky, Subnautica, GTA, 7 Days that kind of thing when I get a chance to game!
As I say I think I'm going to go 6800/XT and try 1440P 144Hz as a jump up
Many thanks for the advice and replies, even you @tamzzy ...... :eek::p:):):) x

Man of Honour
@haaammit definitely as you're playing at a high refresh rate (albeit at 1080p), i would more than likely say you would not enjoy the 4k experience if your new gpu struggles to maintain at least a solid 60fps (minimum) and if you also have to turn the settings down

Man of Honour
@haaammit mate
just seen you put in an offer on MM for a monitor...
not sure what monitor you have now but the vast majority of VA panels have more ghosting compared to other types of panels (TN/IPS)
if you're going from a TN panel to VA...again, i would expect that you would not enjoy the worsened panel response time

(i've done this before...going to a TN to VA panel...sold on the VA panel quickly and bought an IPS panel instead lol. IPS is the best of both worlds in my opinion)

basically, do your research first

Last edited:
Soldato
@haaammit
not sure what monitor you have now but the vast majority of VA panels have more ghosting compared to other types of panels (TN/IPS)
I'll go one degree further.

Don't buy it.

My son wanted a 1080p monitor and was desperate when there was a shortage. I relented and bought an AOC VA panel (the IPS version was not in stock). I spent a week trying to get semi-representative colours - failed - but that was nothing compared to the smearing that occurred, even during video playback (this is not an isolate, independent, review - I've seen others too.)

I exchanged it for the exact same model, but the IPS equivalent. Even the uninitiated would have been able to tell the difference - the VA panel was that bad. The IPS panel was excellent - and made my decision process for the upgrade/purchase of the 1440p equivalent even easier.

Admittedly, there are some good VA panels out there, but I've yet to view one - but, shows the need for research (if not done - and be careful of sponsored reviews). I've even bulked at panels that forum members I respect have recommended. I admit I am particular when it comes to viewing - but when your 13 year old daughter can spot the difference in picture quality when the VA and IPS was side by side... (but, again, stressing only one panel - so as not to appear too biased.).

@haaammit
basically, do your research first
Basically, this - and wary of sponsored reviews or youtube reviews justifying their purchase.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Admittedly, there are some good VA panels out there, but I've yet to view one

Only one I've found any good is the one in the Philips 436M6 - all other VA or similar tech monitors I've ever used have been poor for fast paced gaming - some are instantly noticeable smeary/grainy trails others at first you think are OK but after playing for a bit you start to see the grainy smears in certain colour transitions and can't un-see it.

Soldato
some are instantly noticeable smeary/grainy trails others at first you think are OK but after playing for a bit you start to see the grainy smears in certain colour transitions and can't un-see it.
I can relate.

It's like the brain has to take a beat to process what it's 'not' observing. And once it has fully appreciated the visuals the optic nerve was frantically sending it then, as you correctly say, can't un-see it.

*Kinda hope no VA panel owners come across this thread. They may take a long hard look at their panels and suddenly see the emperor is naked.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Only one I've found any good is the one in the Philips 436M6
the samsung odyssey g series are good VA panels as well...not sure what wizardry samsung has done to those VA panels but the response times are amazing
very very pricey though

Man of Honour
*Kinda hope no VA panel owners come across this thread. They may take a long hard look at their panels and suddenly see the emperor is naked.
:cry:

all other VA or similar tech monitors I've ever used have been poor for fast paced gaming - some are instantly noticeable smeary/grainy trails others at first you think are OK but after playing for a bit you start to see the grainy smears in certain colour transitions and can't un-see it.
yeah, my experience with my AOC monitors as well, more specifically the WVF (VA) vs VWFD8 (IPS)...
the OG VWF became my secondary as soon as the refreshed VWFD8 was released...and then sold on once i bought a second VWFD8
for videos, movies etc VA panel is fine, but once being used for high FPS stuff the slower pixel response becomes rapidly evident

Associate
I know I am coming late to this thread but I am a bit confused.

So originally the OP wanted to move to 4k and his 6600xt is not a good 4k card, I agree. Since then he has lowered his monitor requirements down to 1440p. 6600xt is ok for this res, yes I know it is not great but it works just fine and upgrading within the same gen to a 6800 just seems odd. I totally understand if you want to complete your loop and make it look pretty but the performance boost is limited.

I had a 6800 and it was a great card for my use case of 3440x1440 but not sure I would have upgraded from a 6600xt.

The good news is that the 6800 and 6800xt often shared a PCB so a lot of the blocks will fit either and they are also quite cheap. I have a 6800 Asus waterblock gathering dust in the garage.

Monitor recommendations. Ignore VA and IPS and spend your money on an AW34DWF. Leave the gpu upgrade for a later date and enjoy OLED goodness.

Soldato
This is incorrect, the difference between pcie 3 and 4 is very small even with the mighty 4090 which is twice as fast as a 6800XT so upgrading the board just for pcie 4.0 is essentially a waste of money unless you're moving to a new platform with a faster CPU.

Screenshot-486.png

Associate
Not sure I saw on other comments but ram is fine, spend on gpu and nice 1440p monitor.
4k = loads of money... (4090 - good 4k monitor - bigger psu), be upset when 4090 ti comes out.

Back
Top Bottom