What do i need? (X360 to Computer)

Associate
Hi all im getting the X-Box core system at the end of the month and want to make sure it has a nice home to move into. How do i get it online?

I currently have a USB ADSL modem hooked up to my pc and do not have a router.

Is it possible to use a crossover cable to get it set up or will i need to get a router?

Thanks.

Associate
OP
ok the only reason i was worried about it not working was when i hooked up two PC's together with a crossover only one of them had net access.

I take it that the XBox is properly configured to deal with this (or i just had my pcs hooked up wrongly)

Soldato
Count_Zero99uk said:
ok the only reason i was worried about it not working was when i hooked up two PC's together with a crossover only one of them had net access.

I take it that the XBox is properly configured to deal with this (or i just had my pcs hooked up wrongly)

Did you have Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) running ? You'll need that running for the 360 to be able to connect. To be honest you'd probably be best buying a router, will save you having to switch your PC on when you want to play the 360.

Associate
TBH I'd pay the extra and get the Premium. Even if you're just using Live for downloads, the hard drive will be needed. Hard drive alone costs about 60 - 70 quid. Premium PGR 3 pack can be picked up for 300 quid.

Soldato
The 360 must just be configured properly to share the Net access with the PC....There isn't much to it with a 360, it will either work or it won't......No messing about like PC Networks :D

My mate has his 360 linked up the way you want - USB Modem > PC > 360 .....His PC still has Net access while the 360 is on Live......I know this because anytime i play against him on Live, he leaves random abuse on MSN :p :D

Associate
OP
Andy298 said:
TBH I'd pay the extra and get the Premium. Even if you're just using Live for downloads, the hard drive will be needed. Hard drive alone costs about 60 - 70 quid. Premium PGR 3 pack can be picked up for 300 quid.

Ah yes, but im getting the Core for FREE!!! woo.

Incentive with mobile phone deal.

So im happy.

Associate
OP
melchy said:
Did you have Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) running ? You'll need that running for the 360 to be able to connect. To be honest you'd probably be best buying a router, will save you having to switch your PC on when you want to play the 360.

A what?

What is it?

Where do i find it?

How do i change it?

(Please and thankyou for your help :):))

Soldato
Tbh id just get a router.

I got a Netgear DG834PN courtesy of OcUK and its so easy to setup, plus you dont have to keep your pc on all the time so its easyer to have a quick play in the morning before work without having to wait for the PC to bootup. :D

Associate
OP
Chadd said:
Tbh id just get a router.

I got a Netgear DG834PN courtesy of OcUK and its so easy to setup, plus you dont have to keep your pc on all the time so its easyer to have a quick play in the morning before work without having to wait for the PC to bootup. :D

Ok im confused i just looked this one up and it says

N.B. Not suitable for use with USB modems

Odd but it does have an ADSL modem built into it.

Would this be able to accept broadband from a CableModem when i get round to getting NTL in? Or would i need a new router?

Soldato
Count_Zero99uk said:
Ok im confused i just looked this one up and it says

N.B. Not suitable for use with USB modems

Odd but it does have an ADSL modem built into it.

Would this be able to accept broadband from a CableModem when i get round to getting NTL in? Or would i need a new router?

Yes that one has a built in modem, but afaik it wont suppot cable.

For cable you'll need one of these http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Cable_Routers.html but they dont have modems in them.

Why not just stay with ADSL? :p :D

Back
Top Bottom