What do /you/ do to rank a new website?

Associate
Well since i've done a few alteration's i appear to be going backwards..lol

I feel as my pages are static and i only add content to my blog it doesn't move forward along with the site as such. And i've added a twitter feed but then so its just a spam fest with RT's lol.

I shall keep at it

are most of these seo company's all money seekers?
or any legit ones i could pay for etc?

What do you mean by your pages being static? If you go to the root of your website, does it show all the latest blogs or is is just a normal home page?

If it's wordpress, you have the option of having a static page or a normal blog list page. Normal blog list is better.

It's not just about adding new content, it needs to be keyword rich (including your tweets, don't just retweet, and tweet 5 times a day minimum)

Don't link to bad websites, if you link to a website and they are 'blacklisted' (I.e. a gambling website) it could have a negative effect on you.

Use Google Webmaster tools, see how you're ranking on keywords. Also check any 404 errors, and you may need to set up some 301 redirects.

I work for a webdesign company, and we also do SEO. Everyone who pays us definitely start seeing a big difference after a few months. It's not something that happens over weeks.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
What do you mean by your pages being static? If you go to the root of your website, does it show all the latest blogs or is is just a normal home page?

If it's wordpress, you have the option of having a static page or a normal blog list page. Normal blog list is better.

It's not just about adding new content, it needs to be keyword rich (including your tweets, don't just retweet, and tweet 5 times a day minimum)

Don't link to bad websites, if you link to a website and they are 'blacklisted' (I.e. a gambling website) it could have a negative effect on you.

Use Google Webmaster tools, see how you're ranking on keywords. Also check any 404 errors, and you may need to set up some 301 redirects.

I work for a webdesign company, and we also do SEO. Everyone who pays us definitely start seeing a big difference after a few months. It's not something that happens over weeks.

I use wordpress and have my home page (Static) instead of blog which is separate.

And i don't link to anyone, just use other sites for links to my site.

I installed seo yoast today and seeing how that goes

Soldato
OP
I've lost quite a bit of ranking after the Google update earlier this month, one day my site drops out of the top 100, then the next it will be around 50th or more. From what I've read, where you are on Google can fluctuate for a couple of weeks after an update, so don't worry too much about where you are ranking right now.

Associate
If you embed a twitter feed into a website and hide the page from the actual site (so its in the background), does it help?

I'm an apprentice atm for a furniture company and I keep getting asked how to increase awareness or get sales through our website, but I ain't got a clue imo.. I'm here to learn after all.

When you search our company name we are number one and also when searching certain products we will show up on the first page of google. Obviously small businesses really haven't got a chance when people just search 'furniture', 'beds' or 'bed frames' because of the big companies like argos, john lewis etc putting money into AdWords or SEO.

We don't buy stock either so we don't have the freedom of competitive pricing / free delivery, do you think this could be a problem also?

Last edited:
Associate
If you embed a twitter feed into a website and hide the page from the actual site (so its in the background), does it help?

I'm an apprentice atm for a furniture company and I keep getting asked how to increase awareness or get sales through our website, but I ain't got a clue imo.. I'm here to learn after all.

When you search our company name we are number one and also when searching certain products we will show up on the first page of google. Obviously small businesses really haven't got a chance when people just search 'furniture', 'beds' or 'bed frames' because of the big companies like argos, john lewis etc putting money into AdWords or SEO.

We don't buy stock either so we don't have the freedom of competitive pricing / free delivery, do you think this could be a problem also?

You should focus on local SEO. Writing good content that you send to the local directories like yell.com will help you get to the top of Google when people search locally.

Associate
Really useful stuff here. Most of the sites I build are for particular sports people so the search for their name alwyas puts me on the front page, if not the top with no SEO work. However some of the sites that are more generic never seem to get much higher than the second page. A few of the lists on here will come in very handy.

Associate
Quick question and this seems to be the most relevant recent thread.

One of our group companies' competitors has gone bust (all their website links are 404s etc) and we want to try and get our companies website displayed when you search their name.

I'm thinking I could start an adwords campaign to advertise our group companies website when people search for the competitors name - the bid will be small as there are no competing ads and the number of hits are relatively low (<200 per month) but the type of people searching for the company will not just be casual searchers- does it work like that? From what I have read of adwords I could set the bid to £0.01 and max £1 day and since no one else is bidding for it the ad would get shown?

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Well ongoing battle to try and get to top 10 now :D

No idea what else I can do (free) to get in to top 10. Though i do really need to work on my blog but don't have enough content to upload each day/month etc.

some searches I'm varied at depending what is typed

Would more parked domains help? thinking of getting a .com maybe as all of mine are .co.uk

and a huge maybe of .photography £23 a pop tho

Last edited:
Soldato
The search engines look for a few key things:

* Not presenting different content to the crawler than the browser
* Fast response
* Authority
* Social

They'll crawl more if you give them hints with site maps and robots.

The easiest thing to fix if you already have good unique content is the response time.

Get free accounts with the following two places, New Relic will give you a free T-Shirt to boot.

http://newrelic.com/ - get some data on how your server is actually doing
http://cloudflare.com/ - free good DNS host and basic CDN

W3C total cache is good if you are using Wordpress.

There's a Yahoo page speed plugin for Chrome, and also the inbuilt Pagespeed stuff in Developer Tools. See what they tell you and fix what you can.

Edit: Forgot, look at this https://github.com/h5bp/server-configs to tune your web server.

Last edited:
Associate
All ideas are pretty good, anyway you must remember about Google algorithm. It’s not so easy to use SEO tricks because at the same time you must avoid Google penalty. After getting manual penalty there would be harder to be at the top than before. It’s important to remember about it especially now because the Penguin 3.0 is coming. Nobody knows exactly WHEN but there are some forecasts such as http://goralewicz.co/google-penguin-3-0-release-date . Have a look and be careful! ;)

Back
Top Bottom