What do you do when you can't sleep?

Associate
I do much the same. Tho i prefer pondering black holes.
I'd love to ponder a black hole at night. My missus would never allow it though.

Like many my quality of sleep can be aligned with my intake of alcohol. If I drink to much, it's game over and I'm awake until 3 or later. I limit myself to Friday nights now, as I have sat and sun to recover some sleep. Especially naps when my 6 month old is sleeping too!

Soldato
Fell asleep straight away around 10:30-11pm. Was woken up by wife getting up at 12:30 and haven't managed to get back to sleep.
Went into the study to read a bit of my book, then returned, still can't sleep.

Strange. Some nights I'm fine but others it's exactly like this.

Soldato
Promethazine 25mg

Available over the counter in pharmacys
Non addictive sedating antihistamine

Fantastic for short term use.

Soldato
Can always sleep, no problem.

But I go to bed late, like 1am, so I'm dead tired. Suspect that helps.

Can only sleep in a bed, though. Really envy these people who can doze off sat on the sofa. Or on a plane.

Soldato
Audio book for me.... always some science or history. A Brief History Of Time, The Universe, Human Universe, stuff like that.

I rarely drink anymore as hangovers aren't worth it my age. What keeps me awake is usually thinking about stuff for the next day, work, climbing, holidays, whatever. Soon as I put audio book on and concentrate on that, I'm asleep in minutes.

Soldato
Mythos (the Greek myths retold) audiobook by Stephen Fry.
15 and a half hours of pure sleep inducing heaven, which sounds daft as it's incredibly educational and beautifully orated by Mr Fry, but it sends me off to the land of nod in minutes.
Also, the Infinite monkey cage podcast.

Soldato
Can only sleep in a bed, though. Really envy these people who can doze off sat on the sofa. Or on a plane
Lying in bed wide awake for hours made it too hot and uncomfortable so I went downstairs and lay on the sofa, stuck the recliner leg rests up and tried to doze off. For the first time I tried rain sounds on YouTube, cast to the TV. It worked well. Really puzzled my wife when she came to wake me up.

Soldato
cant remember what i posted in here but must have been reading my kindle ,it literally drops out of my hands ,staying asleep is more of a challenge ,randomly awake to fragments of prophetic dreams denied once again of solving the meaning of life the universe and everything ,its not 42 i am sure

Soldato
Lying in bed wide awake for hours made it too hot and uncomfortable so I went downstairs and lay on the sofa, stuck the recliner leg rests up and tried to doze off. For the first time I tried rain sounds on YouTube, cast to the TV. It worked well. Really puzzled my wife when she came to wake me up.

Got an amazon dot or spot or whatever they are called? Ask it to make rain noises. We have it on every night

Soldato
Mythos (the Greek myths retold) audiobook by Stephen Fry.
15 and a half hours of pure sleep inducing heaven, which sounds daft as it's incredibly educational and beautifully orated by Mr Fry, but it sends me off to the land of nod in minutes.
Also, the Infinite monkey cage podcast.

Both really good, I agree.
If you like that I'd also suggest this as well...

Associate
i have tried almost everything to make myself go to sleep naturally nothing work
i got sleeping tablets from doctors and stopped taking them they make me feel worse

Associate
I've had a bad few years for sleep patterns. I've used Mirtazapine for a good 2+ years. It help early on with Insomnia but for me the real game changer was the gym. Lucky I have one a 2 minute drive, 10.30 for an hour I come back and always fall to sleep like a baby. My work shift starts at 10am so worked perfectly for me :)

Soldato
Can always sleep, no problem.

But I go to bed late, like 1am, so I'm dead tired. Suspect that helps.

Can only sleep in a bed, though. Really envy these people who can doze off sat on the sofa. Or on a plane.
Im the same! Bed is only place I can sleep properly. Jealous of those who can sleep anywhere, like my mum. She has even slept through the plane taking off. Like how much noise, vibration etc is there? Even the group sitting in the seats other side of the aisle were in disbelief at anyone able to sleep through that?

Caporegime
I just don't sleep. Next day I'll likely sleep fine.

I traveled 3 planes, a ferry, 2 buses (probably about 36 hours) and I slept 6 hours in 3 days as I really struggle to sleep when my Mind is buzzing.

I thought I was ill as for some reason I wasn't tired.

I slept one of those nights outside the ferry terminal on grass for 2 hours!

Back
Top Bottom