What do you do with your home server?

Soldato
got a dvb-s2 card in mine running a media portal front end for terrestrial needs, with a few VM's hosting the likes of nginx, sab, sonarr, radarr. back in the day it also had a pihole vm but as its no longer on 24/7 we stick to browser ad blockers that work better imo.

Associate
What are you guys using home assistant for? I love the idea of it, but I'm coming up short on what I'd actually do. I have a couple leap motion cameras and I was thinking it world be cool to trigger lighting profiles with gesture by having them dotted around the house plugged into an RPi, but then that feels a bit meh
Lighting, security camera, heating.
Running on a HP n54l.
HA is a great alternative to any of the cloud based services.
Google Home Assistant, or what ever its called, was a total ballache because it was auto grouping lights together.

Soldato
OP
Lighting, security camera, heating.
Running on a HP n54l.
HA is a great alternative to any of the cloud based services.
Google Home Assistant, or what ever its called, was a total ballache because it was auto grouping lights together.
Oh yeah I'd want to do config myself. What do you do for security cameras? I'm considering one overlooking the front of our house after someone reversed into our car and didn't leave a note

Soldato
you dio have to be carefull with the cctv stuff a few people got burned with it and its not legal in court unless its advertised ect. plus the whople privacy stuff that goes with it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
you dio have to be carefull with the cctv stuff a few people got burned with it and its not legal in court unless its advertised ect. plus the whople privacy stuff that goes with it.

You don’t need to advertise a private none-business CCTV system.

I’ve had my CCTV at a previous house checked by the police after a complete asshat of a neighbour decided to be an idiot. Police were perfectly happy with my setup, no privacy problems and would have been happy of footage if required for crime prevention or resolution.

Soldato
Around 2003 I had to give some CCTv footage to the police at work and they were mega anal. Wanted see a load of certs and there was a manufactors procedure to copy to CDR and seal. Police guy was nice but throughly checked it was all setup so he could use it.

Soldato
its not just the police but neibours also. theres been a few caes going through the courts for cameras capturing video of say over garden walls and or like the ring door bell capturing the number plates and things or faces of passerbyes.
it was more a comment and better in a differant thread. it was only a "be carefull"
lots of people run cctv though for home.

its been discussed before in this section were its recoemended to seporate the cctv so the other systems and services can go down and cctv stays up to reduce power costs.

Last edited:
Associate
The Police have had footage off me a few times, one time they were grateful some public coverage was available - helps having the correct time (synced by NTP) on your NVR so they can can build the timeline for their investigations. I do have CCTV signs in the front windows, one downstairs and one upstairs and the cameras for the majority of the views from each cover what its meant to on my property, retention is approximately 6 weeks at 10fps, x265 on a 4TB drive with 4 x cameras (2 x 4MP PTZ and 2 x 5MP Colorvu bullets).

Soldato
OP
The Police have had footage off me a few times, one time they were grateful some public coverage was available - helps having the correct time (synced by NTP) on your NVR so they can can build the timeline for their investigations. I do have CCTV signs in the front windows, one downstairs and one upstairs and the cameras for the majority of the views from each cover what its meant to on my property, retention is approximately 6 weeks at 10fps, x265 on a 4TB drive with 4 x cameras (2 x 4MP PTZ and 2 x 5MP Colorvu bullets).
How much of that 4TB drive does 6 weeks of footage take up roughly? Just looking to do some napkin maths for what I'd need as I wouldn't want to be hammering my main disk pool with this kind of activity

Caporegime
How much of that 4TB drive does 6 weeks of footage take up roughly? Just looking to do some napkin maths for what I'd need as I wouldn't want to be hammering my main disk pool with this kind of activity

My 3x 2560x1920@20FPS cameras consume roughly 2.2TB with 31 day retention. So around 750GB/month per camera at my resolution and framerate using H.264 and AAC.

Last edited:
Associate
I have a little box (a big box tbf, but in terms of spec, little) running TrueNAS with a bunch of the usual k8s apps on there (Plex, servarr stack, various monitoring apps, a minecraft server, home website etc) but I feel like I wanna do more with it and need ideas. I feel like the next step is getting a VPN set up (dw, the torrents are nothing dodgy), but not sure what else to do.

What do you guys do with your servers?

here's all the stuff I currently have on mine (for the most part at least). Excuse the wife.

Screenshot-2024-01-07-180740.png
I'm new to servers but I was wondering how you have all of your software displayed like that please? It looks awesome :)

Soldato
OP
I'm new to servers but I was wondering how you have all of your software displayed like that please? It looks awesome :)
It's a kubernetes app called homepage. Truenas scale basically has k8s for its apps and I use truecharts to pull apps like this one. It's dead easy to add all your stuff via YAML, and they've even added an integration in truecharts now so they can all be added to homepage automatically to save the setup. You can customise the balls off it with your own CSS if you want, but this is pretty much vanilla

Back
Top Bottom