what do you name your computers ?

Soldato
As title, I'm looking to name my computer systems for identity, but I also want to name a bunch of back up external hard drives - my usual naming scheme is star trek ships, but looking for some inspiration - what do you guys call your gadgets ?

Soldato
Usually I name it after the case, so my current computer is called Versa as it is in a Versa case, previous to that it was called Elite. I have two microservers as well one called Micro the other Orcim.

I am anything but obvious :)

Soldato
Also Steve

I always intend to come up with some sort of cool/fun name for my computers, then I start installing windows, get a cup of tea, and just end up clicking through and writing Steve when it prompts me :p

Same here. Was going to pick one of the ship names from Iain M. Banks Culture novels, but had an attack of CBA when the time came.

Steve is occasionally called something else, usually when the AMD driver update process has failed for the umpteenth time in row.

Associate
I will admit that in a fit of creative genius I summoned the literary prowess of a generation to craft the name of my recently built HTPC... I named it "TV"

Soldato
OP
haha interesting responses thanks guys!

Gone with star trek ships!!

The mac mini (my main rig), is USS Defiant - obvious reasons, smol & mighty :D:p (Mac mini 2018, i7, 64gb ram, Vega 56)

MBP = USS Voyager - because it goes far :D

Storage server is DS9 - great big hulking thing that doesn't move

And my bunch of secondary external back USB drives are each named after star trek runabouts, 1 USS Ganges, 2 USS Rio Grande etc etc

Gaming PC is the Enterprise, although I'll likely sell this soon!

Soldato
I used to give them people names, Kyle was my first laptop, Steve was my first desktop, I had Adrian as my 2nd laptop, Eric 3rd, Derek is my current desktop.

They get a number after their name after an upgrade, Eric is ERIC-IV after upgrading the storage, screen and OS.

However Derek is currently called BIG-WHITE-COMPUTER cause I couldn't find it on the network.

Back
Top Bottom