What do you think of rover 220's?

Soldato
Im wanting the ocuk opinion on rover 220 diesel turbos?
Like this one

The insurance on that one is around 1.8k using a confused.com quote, so proberly closer to 1.4/1.5k third party fire theft for an 18yr old with no claims.

Whats do you think of these cars?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
im just looking for advice/info, i wont be getting a car for about 2 month so im looking around, and thats the cheapest insurance i have found, even cheaper than a corsa!

edit: i will look on that link now thank you

Soldato
And here was me, thinking you were talking about the proper 220s (my shape, with the petrol engine).

The L series in the SDi is a pretty decent engine. It's easy to up the boost and get more power out of them. Not sure what they do standard, but I know someone who had his doing the 0-60 sprint in just over 8 seconds.

Good to mod too, as uprated parts are easily available. Get the shocks and springs off an MG ZR and you'll have yourself a tidy handling car.

Pretty reliable, they don't suffer the head gasket issues as the K series and like I mentioned earlier, easy to get more power from.

For more info, get yourself over to www.rovertech.net.

Soldato
OP
to get insured on this tpft it would cost £1,838.34 i used moneysupermarket

rover 220

agw_01 said:
And here was me, thinking you were talking about the proper 220s (my shape, with the petrol engine).

Could you find an example on autotrader/pistonheads of what you mean.
Your rover looks sweet :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Westyfield, yep, the Coupe is the most well known '220' although I originally meant the hatchback.

That eBay Coupe looks smart. I like those style wheels with lowered suspension.

Andr3w, thanks :)

Man of Honour
if your going to be living on base then iirc from when a few guys i know went into the army your insurance becomes a bit cheaper, i may be talking complete crap though :D

Soldato
Andr3w said:
to get insured on this tpft it would cost £1,838.34 i used moneysupermarket

Damn :eek:

Although that site is usually pretty good, search engines aren't great for young drivers.

Try the Admiral group (Elephant, Bell).

Soldato
At 18 with 0 NCB, expect to pay high insurance.

For my first car (a Rover 214) I paid £2200, and that was with Pass Plus.

Soldato
OP
richolmes72 said:
£1.5k on insurance? your postcode could be bad - but that still seems very high.... Tried Endsleigh?
my postcode is the second highest (high been good) so its not that. The cheapest insurance was with quinn

Soldato
I've had both.

The derv motor is gutless, handles woefully and has no grip.
But it is what it is. A workhorse. If you're looking for any fun whatsoever (and don't expect torks) look elsewhere. I bought one as a mode of transport between petrol tubbys, and I enjoyed the cheapness of running, and I kind of enjoyed the relaxed nature of the car, but that wore off fairly quickly.

On the other hand, if you meant a 220 tubby petrol, coupe or hatch. Buy buy buy ;). Mucho fun, and quick as a whippet.

Soldato
benneh said:
On the other hand, if you meant a 220 tubby petrol, coupe or hatch. Buy buy buy ;). Mucho fun, and quick as a whippet.

Nah, they're crap. It's a Rover. It'll obviously have head gasket failure and blow up as soon as it comes on boost.

So glad I'm getting rid of my 220 tomorrow in place for a supercharged Corsa GSi.

Soldato
Well, I was thinking...

I'm a boy racer, not a grandad. I love racing through the local town centre on a busy Friday night with my sub blaring out mad-tyte hip-hop and garage music. What better way to do this, than to have a boyracer car with big wheels, lightweight plastic bodykit and a nice loud exhaust.

Of course, if you're gonna drive such a car, it needs to have matching performance otherwise you look like a bit of a tit... hence the 'charger.

Told you I wasn't getting a Rover :p ;)

Associate
blitz2163 said:
if your going to be living on base then iirc from when a few guys i know went into the army your insurance becomes a bit cheaper, i may be talking complete crap though :D

Makes no odds mate..Spent 10 years in the RAF & if anything the insurance was higher.

Quite a high insurance category for a career I'm afraid!

Back
Top Bottom