What do you use your 2nd monitor for

Associate
Hi

I have a desktop with monitor, next to my main monitor I have a 2nd monitor on a standalone dvr for CCTV. I was considering using this 2nd monitor for displaying email from my main pc. Was wondering what do forum members use there 2nd monitor for

Cheers

Fergin

Caporegime
I have two very different screens.

One 24" 144hz gaming monitor for errrrr gaming.

One 27" PLS panel for anything else as the colours and clarity dump all over the gaming screen.

Associate
Complete mix of stuff - watching TV, extra desktop space when moving/copying files or working on spreadsheets, extend game over both like Eve etc etc. Often torn between going back to one 30" or having two 24"...

Associate
1920x1080 screen for gaming, general
1920x1200 screen for photos, clock, core temp and gpu observer gadgets when playing.

Soldato
Hi

I have a desktop with monitor, next to my main monitor I have a 2nd monitor on a standalone dvr for CCTV. I was considering using this 2nd monitor for displaying email from my main pc. Was wondering what do forum members use there 2nd monitor for

Cheers

Fergin

Only have one at home, but at work:
Left - 24" - Visual Studio
Middle - 15" laptop screen - varies. Email, maybe a website, etc.
Right 24" - normally the software/site I'm working on running in debug mode or a remote desktop session or browser

Associate
I don't have a dual monitor set-up but if I did it'll be like this:

1st Monitor (144hz, Gsync, TN, 1080p): Full-screen gaming
2nd Monitor (60hz, 4K/1440p, IPS?): Desktop, Skype chat, Youtube videos, Forums, Torrenting.. Basically everything else.

But saying that I may just get a really good single monitor and alt-tab...

Associate
Currently have 2 x 1920x1200 monitors (and considering a 3rd)
How I use them depends on what I'm doing, however as examples:

General: Sky Go or iPlayer on 1 monitor, Email & browser, etc on the other
Software Dev: SQL Management Studio on 1 monitor, Visual Studio on the other (3rd monitor here would be good to have a browser or Photoshop on the 3rd monitor if I'm doing web based work)

Gaming: not many games have support for 2 monitors (2 doesn't really work for Eyefinity due to the bezel being the centre of vision), so options here are a little limited I find. Used to run 2 instances of Eve Online (though gave that up years ago), though do sometimes run games in windowed mode while I have a browser open - works nicely for games like FTL, no need to Alt-tab out to check mail, etc.
Sadly few games have proper 2 monitor support, only one that really comes to mind was Supreme Commander, was great to have an interactive map on screen 2 :)

If you have the 2nd monitor to hand anyway, you might as well connect it up and try it out )

Back
Top Bottom