• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What else to try?

Associate
So I've just built a new rig. Had it working did a few minutes of Aida64 CPU stress temps <80 Ran Unigine superposition No issues. Playing warzone for a hour maybe 2 and suddenly computer switches off. Went over pushed the power and the lights (CPU cooler and front fans) literally flashed on/off. Then nothing. Switched the psu off/on same again.

Pulled the cable for a few seconds put it back in had the GPU EZ light on on the MOBO, but everything seemed on (I think the light on the radeon logo was on and fans were turning). No display on my monitor. Turned off tried again, same thing. Got the pc out of it's place and had a look on the floor now I have nothing but two clicks from the PSU. Pulled all sata cables out and still click click. Pulled GPU out (reverse breadboarding style) Everything now runs (haven't checked to see if it displays as my monitor is plugged in via DP not HDMI but can do this if we think I need to) Tried again with GPU, click click. Got old gtx970 out everything seems to run fine it boots to windows anyway.

So i think its an RMA but is there something else you think i should try first?

All help appreciated

PC:
MSI x570 A-Pro
5800x
rx6800 msi reference
NVME
1 x noctua 120mm and 1 x 240mm case fan
2 x 120mm Lian Li Lanccol 2 mesh case fans running
Deep cool CPU cooler
Run with a corsair TX850M PSU
Additional drives that were removed
2 x2.5 SSD
2x3.5 HDD
LED Supply for the Fans

Last edited:
Associate
Sounds like an RMA if the system works fine without the GPU.

Was it a reference 6800? What aib?

Associate
Ideally you want to try the GPU in another rig. Just to make sure it is the GPU before you RMA.

But if you haven't got that luxury, RMA seems the only way as you seem to have isolated the issue down to the GPU.

Never had a 6800 series, but reading about it, they are quite power efficient but they do appear to cause big spikes in power delivery for short periods of time. This could of triggered the PSU to kill the power whilst in game. You got a good PSU, but how old is it?

Problem sounds hardware related rather than software.

I would suggest moving both x 8 pin pcie cables to another rail that's coming out of your PSU and into the gfx card.

See if that helps it boot up. Might be one of the rails has been damaged on the PSU.

Let us know how you get on.

Associate
OP
Ideally you want to try the GPU in another rig. Just to make sure it is the GPU before you RMA.

But if you haven't got that luxury, RMA seems the only way as you seem to have isolated the issue down to the GPU.

Never had a 6800 series, but reading about it, they are quite power efficient but they do appear to cause big spikes in power delivery for short periods of time. This could of triggered the PSU to kill the power whilst in game. You got a good PSU, but how old is it?

Problem sounds hardware related rather than software.

I would suggest moving both x 8 pin pcie cables to another rail that's coming out of your PSU and into the gfx card.

See if that helps it boot up. Might be one of the rails has been damaged on the PSU.

Let us know how you get on.

So I did have the GPU running off one feed but have tried the other and both as well. Nothing there.
I have the luxury of another rig so can do that today. Do I need to re install windows or just see if it posts?

I'd had my 6800 working in my other rig for a while (waiting for my 5800x)but working away meant I hadn't really used it at all. Agaim had it in this build dorma few days but spent time with the Mrs so hadn't used it much.
Went on for a late one with the lads last night and click, no more!

Associate
So I did have the GPU running off one feed but have tried the other and both as well. Nothing there.
I have the luxury of another rig so can do that today. Do I need to re install windows or just see if it posts?

I'd had my 6800 working in my other rig for a while (waiting for my 5800x)but working away meant I hadn't really used it at all. Agaim had it in this build dorma few days but spent time with the Mrs so hadn't used it much.
Went on for a late one with the lads last night and click, no more!

Just see if it posts in bios is enough, sounds like a hardware issue not software so I wouldnt bother reinstalling the windows tbh.

Sounds like a defo RMA job soz. Start writing the RMA ....and test it in another rig if you can. RMAs can be pitas.

Associate
OP
Just see if it posts in bios is enough, sounds like a hardware issue not software so I wouldnt bother reinstalling the windows tbh.

Sounds like a defo RMA job soz. Start writing the RMA ....and test it in another rig if you can. RMAs can be pitas.
So i got up and put it straight into my old rig. Lights, a flicker of screen action and then the screen turned off. Tried again, nothing but lights and fans. Swap DP output, same again. Try HDMI same again, try the TV incase its just not turning the monitor on, nope. Put it in my new PC again as it's turning on again now. Same thing all the lights and fans but no output and an EZ Light for the GPU.

RMA time I think?

Thanks for your help though its really appreciated

Associate
So i got up and put it straight into my old rig. Lights, a flicker of screen action and then the screen turned off. Tried again, nothing but lights and fans. Swap DP output, same again. Try HDMI same again, try the TV incase its just not turning the monitor on, nope. Put it in my new PC again as it's turning on again now. Same thing all the lights and fans but no output and an EZ Light for the GPU.

RMA time I think?

Thanks for your help though its really appreciated

RMA straight back to the seller. Whoever that is.

Associate
Yup, dead card. You've perfectly isolated the problem component and there's nothing else you should do, lest you risk your warranty/return. Condolences.

Associate
OP
Yup, dead card. You've perfectly isolated the problem component and there's nothing else you should do, lest you risk your warranty/return. Condolences.
Is returning stuff usually not so fruitful in the PC Component industry then? Never had to do it.

Aside from the fact that the component I want replacing is a sweet blend of rocking horse poo and unicorn fur

Associate
Is returning stuff usually not so fruitful in the PC Component industry then? Never had to do it.

Aside from the fact that the component I want replacing is a sweet blend of rocking horse poo and unicorn fur

RMAs can range from incredibly difficult to easy but the current situation with stock means you will most likely find it hard going, good luck though.

Associate
I've heard Asus/MSI are pretty bad when it comes to RMA's but given how new it is you might be within the cooling off period to get a refund/replacement.

Associate

If you purchased online from a UK shop it's the retailer's responsibility, not the manufacturer's, to handle the return process. This is part of UK distance selling law. It's explained in clearer terms in Which?'s consumer rights section. Within 30 days you can request a refund regardless of what the return policy is, as long as the goods are faulty, which they are. It may not be ideal (I presume a replacement is what you want?) but you're ultimately covered, so don't worry.

Associate
OP
I've heard Asus/MSI are pretty bad when it comes to RMA's but given how new it is you might be within the cooling off period to get a refund/replacement.

If you purchased online from a UK shop it's the retailer's responsibility, not the manufacturer's, to handle the return process. This is part of UK distance selling law. It's explained in clearer terms in Which?'s consumer rights section. Within 30 days you can request a refund regardless of what the return policy is, as long as the goods are faulty, which they are. It may not be ideal (I presume a replacement is what you want?) but you're ultimately covered, so don't worry.

Thanks guys. Luckily I am just in 30 days. The launch was 18/11 so I got it 19/11 which means I'm in. I assume they cant penalise me for the fact that it's not back with them in 30 days as I have to wait for their RMA.
Sounds like I'll just have to wait until they get some more in which I'm ok with i think because I'm working away for 6days then on holiday for 5 over xmas so hopefully once all that's done i wont have ages to wait.

Thanks again for the advice and have a great festive period everyone!!

Associate
Thanks guys. Luckily I am just in 30 days. The launch was 18/11 so I got it 19/11 which means I'm in. I assume they cant penalise me for the fact that it's not back with them in 30 days as I have to wait for their RMA.
Sounds like I'll just have to wait until they get some more in which I'm ok with i think because I'm working away for 6days then on holiday for 5 over xmas so hopefully once all that's done i wont have ages to wait.

Thanks again for the advice and have a great festive period everyone!!

You have 30 days to notify them of your intent to return it, when it actually gets back is another matter.

Top Bottom