What equip do I need?

Soldato
Howdy,

Firstly I havent a clue about networking, and all I know about is USB modems... so I need your help with sumin.

I have just upgraded to 8mb broadband with BT, and have been to this day using the same USB green (frog) Alcatel DSL USB modem. Now reading on certain websites it claims this modem can support up to 8mb connections, but I now keep getting disconnected every time I leave my PC idle, so Im thinking its my modem not being able to handle the connection.

So I want to get a router/hub to run my connection from... but I don;t know what I need to do this? Can I just buy: BT Voyager 240 ADSL Router (NW-002-BT) at http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Routers___Firewalls_417.html ? or would I need anything else for me to get my pc connected? Seeing that router I mentioned above is outta stock... what other ones on that page would do the job?

Any help will be appreciated!

ta

Soldato
I'd recommend a wireless ADSL/router/firewall like the NETGEAR DG834G.

This should cost you about £60. The WiFi function might prove to be useful at some stage...

Soldato
OP
Hmm Im really not to interested in wifi, heard too many horror stories of people "stealing" wifi connections from people... if you know what I mean. And I also want the cheapest option cos im a cheap skate :)

I really doubt Id ever use wifi, and am certainly not bothered about having a cable here and there :)

Thanks for your suggestion though!

Soldato
Well, the wireless routers don't cost a great deal more than a non-wireless one. Even if you're not using it you can just disable it and even if you leave it enabled, just turn some security on. It's only stupid/uninformed people who leave their wireless completely open that get their Internet 'stolen'.

If you really don't want wireless, the Netgear DG834 would do the trick. A whole £10 cheaper. :)

Soldato
Phemo said:
Well, the wireless routers don't cost a great deal more than a non-wireless one. Even if you're not using it you can just disable it and even if you leave it enabled, just turn some security on. It's only stupid/uninformed people who leave their wireless completely open that get their Internet 'stolen'.

If you really don't want wireless, the Netgear DG834 would do the trick. A whole £10 cheaper. :)

Soldato
how did you upgrade to 8mb from bt? i'm guessing you did it on the phone as if you had used the website you would have taken them up on their cheap/free router options? :p

options 1&2, 25quid for a voyager 2091 (wireless, usb, ethernet)
option 3, free voyager 2091
option 4, free voyager 2500v (wireless, usb, 4 ethernet ports)

might be worth ringing and asking them about this.... :)

Caporegime
crashuk said:
make sure its adsl2+ compatable.

It's unimportant, unless you're planning on moving to an LLU provider that's using ADSL2+.

The BT in your first post would do, and so would the DG834. Apparently the latest firmware deals with some of its weird SNR issues too.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
marc2003 - Yeah I saw the option for the wireless router for an extra £20, but as I said before Ive got no interest in wireless, so didnt bother with the hassle of getting one. Although I suppose I could have got it and sold it for a remarkably higher price on eBay, but what can ya do :)

My connection was disconnecting so much last night that I went to ocuk and bought the DG834 router. Think it wise to get a router now, as in the future when i get higher speeds I will need one.

But I read on the BT help site, that the first 10 days or the optimisation period I will get diconnected every now and then as the line re-syncs... so that will be the cause of the disconnections I reckon. But a router will get me the top speeds and better performance over my dated green frog alcatel SpeedTouch 330 USB modem.

As I dont know anything bout routers etc, I hope its easy to setup :) How do routers work exactly? Do I load my username and password into the router rather than my PC and they does the connecting etc? Or is it still done by dialup software on my pc? Stupid question I know, but Im not too bright :)

ta

Soldato
keogh said:
marc2003 - Yeah I saw the option for the wireless router for an extra £20, but as I said before Ive got no interest in wireless, so didnt bother with the hassle of getting one. Although I suppose I could have got it and sold it for a remarkably higher price on eBay, but what can ya do :)

well of course you can disable the wireless and just connect via ethernet. and it would be nice to have the option of wireless in the future? :p

Soldato
marc2003 said:
well of course you can disable the wireless and just connect via ethernet. and it would be nice to have the option of wireless in the future? :p

I agree, not having WiFi is short sighted in my opinion.

The router config is done via a web interface. Just enter 192.168.0.1 into your browser... the router stores all authentication details. It's basically just a case of entering your username/password.

Your router will be connected to your PC via ethernet. There is no dialup procedure (you're effectively on the net 24/7).

Back
Top Bottom