1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What External Hard Drive are you using for your Xbox one or Xbox one X

Discussion in 'Console Games & Hardware' started by chaparral, Nov 3, 2018.

1. David Flett

Wise Guy

ok I’ve plugged it in and managed to get something happening, but it’s just registered itself as pictures/media. Tried to unplug/plug in and same so how will I get the main screen to come back up where you choose to format as Xbox space? I’m out at the moment so I’ll try when I get home but when I looked in settings and clicked on it/manage it only tells me to install a media player.

2. Zico

Mobster

3. MOOGLEYS

Capodecina

My game drive works perfect going to sleep with the Xbox etc.

4. David Flett

Wise Guy

Finally got round to doing it and apparently my hard drive is to slow ie not usb3 or above:confused: it has the usb3 connector lead so how could this be?

5. sja360

Mobster

What drive are you plugging in ?

6. David Flett

Wise Guy

It’s a 1tb WD my passport has the blue colour inside the usb end for usb3 and also the flat connector to the HD for usb3?

7. sja360

Mobster

Weird as I've got other wd portable working fine. What speed does it connect at on a laptop/desktop?

8. J35T3R

Gangster

I've got a Toshiba 3TB Canvio but I did notice some performance issues when I ran RDR2 from it. I had to transfer it over to the system HD to clear up the fuzzy graphics and frame stutter. Every other game apart from that has been fine.

9. MOOGLEYS

Capodecina

Try cleaning the drive under disk part on pc then create a new partition before plugging in Xbox.

10. BattFink

Hitman

Currently re-using an Samsung Evo 850 1TB drive left over after I upgraded my gaming PC. Currently just connected using a USB to SATA 3 dongle (really must get an enclosure for it at some point)

Really made a noticeable difference loading RDR2 compared to the internal HDD

11. TheVoice

Capodecina

I got a couple of transparent ones from Amazon for about £7 each, they work really well and usefully, you can see what drive is inside without having to guess.

12. nft_99

Hitman

Need some more space for Xbox storage, 2tb external drive or buy a 1tb ssd and put that in an enclosure?
    choices, choices

13. House

Mobster

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seag...enclosure-desktop-bundle-black-bu-006-kk.html

best of both storage and speed, SSHD aint as fast as SSD but it gets you 80-90% of the improvement in most cases, especially on stuff being reloaded allot (PUBG map loads etc).

SSD is the best but even 1TB is twice as much for the same price your looking at 500gb which could be 5 games or even less. depands on your use case but im happy with the above.

14. chaparral

Capodecina

15. McBain

Capodecina

A Seagate 500GB SSD because without it loading times in games like FH4 and Division 2 are too painful. It's basically the same drive as the branded Seagate X1 SSD AFAIK.

16. Wardyp

Gangster

I have a 3TB WD Elements which i've had a few years and works well but some games were a bit slow loading.
    I've just got a Crucial MX500 1TB and a USB3 case which makes a big difference on load times.

17. Raggs

Wise Guy

i bought segate 8tb special edition drive recently my old 2 tb WD drive was chocca due too having the game pass.

18. nft_99

Hitman

finally got round to buying one, got the 4tb seagate from the big river for £73

19. mid_gen

Sgarrista

1TB Samsung QVO SSD + Sata->USB cable comes in under 100 quid...no brainer for me.

The QLC NAND is perfect for game drives, slowish write speeds, fast reads, and CHEAP.

20. Maundie

Mobster

I've got a 2Tb WD passport, used it on my One S for ages but when upgraded to an One X I just plugged it in and it had all my games etc. on ready to work.

Not noticed any performance issues on my games, RDR2 has worked fine from 1st install.

I don't envisage needing more than 2Tb for sometime as I only have 4 or 5 games installed (combined I have 3Tb in total storage) and when I finish one I uninstall it because if I want to go back to it I'll just re-download it.