What fad from your childhood/teenage years used to be "in" but now has vanished?

Soldato
Anyone else play "block 1-2-3" or something similar?

From what I can remember it was a slightly more developed form of hide and seek that we played for a year or two before graduating on to playing "tigers and hunters" in the woods.

Soldato
In my day, you were able to speak your mind, now you can't incase it offends someone.

What ever happened to "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" guess the world just become a giant *****.

Soldato

From what I can remember it was a slightly more developed form of hide and seek that we played for a year or two before graduating on to playing "tigers and hunters" in the woods.

Sounds like a variant on what we played called Blocky. Everyone had to hide, and one person had to go round looking, if you got back to the starting lampost before them, and shouted block, you were safe. Else you could be tagged and be out.

Soldato
In my day, you were able to speak your mind, now you can't incase it offends someone.

What ever happened to "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" guess the world just become a giant *****.

Children today have far more freedoms of the speeches than I had growing up in the 70's.

Soldato
Sounds like a variant on what we played called Blocky. Everyone had to hide, and one person had to go round looking, if you got back to the starting lampost before them, and shouted block, you were safe. Else you could be tagged and be out.

That's the one!

"One...two... miss as a few... nine... ten... coming ready or not!" :D

Soldato
That's the one!

"One...two... miss as a few... nine... ten... coming ready or not!" :D

Thinking more on it, the person running back shouted cut when they tagged the lampost first, and the finder had to shout block if they tagged first. Or was it vice versa?

Aye, they was good games in them days.

Man of Honour
YoYos.
Tamagotchi.
Diablo sticks.
TV remote watches that controlled the TV (endless fun with teachers).
Smoking cigarettes (they now all vape).

I was allowed none. Every kid had one within days. I now buy myself everything I want.

Soldato
Thinking more on it, the person running back shouted cut when they tagged the lampost first, and the finder had to shout block if they tagged first. Or was it vice versa?

Aye, they was good games in them days.

From what I remember, in our version you just had to get a hand on the base (usually a certain wall on the street) and shout "block 1-2-3!" before the seeker did the same. I seem to remember we had to introduce a rule to stop everyone just hiding behind the wall and all declaring "block 1-2-3!" as soon as the seeker opened their eyes to start seeking. That tended to kill the game a bit.

Soldato
When Rambo First Blood came out there was a period at school when everyone was carrying round 'Rambo' knives, about 6 inch long blade with a serrated back (saw) and a hollow handle with fishing twine, hook, compass etc in it.

It seems nuts in the current social climate, but at that time (about 1982) every 11 and 12 YO kid had one and no one blinked... except me, my parents wanted me to play with marbles instead.. kill joys.

My Dad still has his knife from Scouts. Every lad got one, I mean it would be completely illegal to carry today. We were talking about it recently with the knife crime epidemic etc. He said it never crossed his mind that there was any danger other than accidentally slipping and cutting yourself. Completely different level of community and mindset back then.

Soldato
Ive still got a large, locking swiss army pen knife my Dad bought me in the early 90s. Not even legal now :p

Cant trust people with sharp things anymore, especially around London.

Soldato
Anyone remember bomb bags? Used to buy them from the local off license.
You would squeeze the bag which popped something inside which caused a reaction that made the bag explode. Great Fun! :D

Soldato

yeah, people used to hide and if you found them you both ran to the designated point [usually a lamp post] and if they tagged first they were safe, or if you managed to call "block 1-2-3 {name}" they were out. not heard of the tiger one though.

Soldato
Kids playing football and other games on the road near their homes, for fear of hitting parked cars or being bonus points for the local boy racers zooming past in cars or motorbikes.

Soldato
yeah, people used to hide and if you found them you both ran to the designated point [usually a lamp post] and if they tagged first they were safe, or if you managed to call "block 1-2-3 {name}" they were out. not heard of the tiger one though.

Yes, that's the one.

"Tigers and hunters" was another version of hide and seek but it was played over a much larger, forested area. One team (tigers) would get a 10-15 minute head start and the other team (hunters) would try to track/find them. Each team is free to split-up or stay as a group and any tigers who are captured join the hunter team until all are caught. We got years out of this one and it evolved into building small camouflaged hides, wearing camo clothes and cam cream. We must've looked like a bunch of nutters. :D

Back
Top Bottom