What games do you play with your kids?

Associate
So my little one has just turned 4, we've got a couple of classics such as buckeroo and hungry hippos, might get him operation for Xmas.

What I'm looking forward to though is when he is a bit older and we can play some more 'in depth' games. So that said, what games do you enjoy playing with your children and whay age group are they?

Soldato
If you fancy trying RPG there is one called Hero Kids which is a really simplified (but still engaging and character building) D6 RPG and gentle intro to DnD. My kids (4 & 7) love it.

We also play a few random light games such as Labrynth (the love it) Cat Chaos (random card game but they enjoy it) and a few others.

Soldato
2nd on Labyrinth, it is quite a good board game. There are some kids rules that make the game far to easy for a kid once they get used to how the game works. Better to get them playing properly straight from the start.

Soldato
I have two daughters 4 and 5 does anyone have any suggestions? We have a storytelling card game where you have to each pick up a card in turn to tell the story which is fun. I looked for the 3 games mentioned by @No1newts and Junior Labyrinth looked good, wasn't sure about the age for Chaos Cats it says 8 which might be a bit too old for them and Amazon doesn't sell Hero Kids.

Completely at odds with this I'm also trying to teach them Mario Cart on the mini SNES but they are still having trouble with the controls:D

Soldato
It really is spot on and the kids love it, couldn't recomend it enough and since getting used to it the little ones are already starting to show an appetite for 5e. PF2 a mile away though :D

Soldato
If you want something more resembling a real boardgame to gateway them in, you can't go wrong with HABA. Rhino Hero is a good one for kids.

Magic Maze Kids might also be a good shout. It's short, cooperative, and they have to shut up. :D

Soldato
A few of the Gamewright games are good for 5+

Too many Monkeys, Sleeping Queens, Rat-a-Tat Cat. Dragonwood is better for 7+.

Escape the Curse of the Temple worked well with my son when he was 6. He really likes Carcassonne now.

Soldato
+1 for Rhino hero.

Roll For It is a good simple one

We have just started playing Fluxx.

Also like the classics. I play backgammon with my 7y old as well as ****head ( although I call it something else ) - the three random face down cards at the end make for a lot of fun.

Soldato
Well I bought Hero Kids and Labyrinth Junior before I went on holiday. We didn't get around to Labyrinth so I'll try that this weekend. Hero Kids was good, played it with my 4 and 5 year old daughters with my wife playing to help them learn it. They really enjoyed it although youngest had a few tantrums when she didn't knock out some monsters. I bought the complete collection for £20 from DriveThru RPG so I have another 10 or 11 adventures to go at.

Went to Fowey for a walk about one day and found a nice toys/games shop and bought a card game called Diamoniak by a French company called DJECO. The kids really loved it and it had the right level of strategy so the wife and I could help them win by hamstringing each other.

Soldato
Not sure if any of you are interested but I have a couple of PnP games I have designed myself for my lad, he is nearly 4. one is a basic snakes and ladders type of game where you collect bones on a beach. Long story short, I asked him what 3 things he would like in a game that daddy could make for him. He said car, beach and puppies. Sooo... I have a beach and puppies (player tokens), roll D6 to move and the usual S&L type thing but picking up or losing bones as the 3 minute game goes on. Another I have made is a tile matching game. Same 3 things in it, car beach puppies but with a twist. if anyone want to try it out with their young children then let me know and Ill link for the PnP..

Soldato
Our seven year old son got City of Zombies for Christmas. He already had a smaller card based version.

It's a fantastic fun cooperative game which helps children and grown ups improve their mental arithmetic.

https://youtu.be/iSD6vpLZPos

That looks ace. Might even get it for myself. I think it would be too hard for my lad though unless there is an easy mode just making small adding up.

Associate
That looks ace. Might even get it for myself. I think it would be too hard for my lad though unless there is an easy mode just making small adding up.

It has different levels of difficulty and if like me you think your mental arithmetic could be better it's good fun and a challenge. The zombie cards have a little "target wheel" in the corner which helps you to know which numbers will help to achieve the target number.

Back
Top Bottom