What GPU can my Leadex Superflower II 80 Plus Gold support

Associate
Looks like my trusty old Strix 1080ti may have given up. Looking at what options I have for a GPU upgrade and thinking refurbed 3080 or 4070 but wondering what restrictions I may have. Seems that 3080 needs 2 x 8pin PCIE connectors and 4070 1x16 pin PCIE connector. Looking in my bag of leadex cables there is neither. Is it just a case of buying the correct PCIE cable or is it not that simple (I saw some article recently about not using modular PSU cables between different vendors).

Thanks.

Man of Honour
The latest Nvidia card's require a 600w 12v High power cable (16 pin) which your psu won't have as it was launched years before ATX 3.0 was announced. That doesn't mean that your psu won't run on though as there should be adaptors in the gpu's box to enable older psu's to be able to power them. As your psu is 850w it should easily cope with any of AMD's cards (no 16 pin required) or any Nvidia card up to a 4080, maybe even a 4090 undervolted. Your psu came with 3x 6+2 pin pci-e leads each with a pair of connectors so giving you 6x 6+2 pin pci-e connections. One thing though, how old is your psu? If it's 10 years or so then I would replace it and it makes sense to do so with a ATX 3.0 psu.

Associate
OP
My PSU was bought in 2019. Ive looked in the cable bag and there is a spare 6+2 pin PCIE / VGA cable. Cant find much on it other than:

I was specifically looking at an Asus TUF OC 3070 as found a good deal. It says single 8pin PCIE. Is that different from a 6+2?

Soldato
6+2 is same as 8 pin
Can be used in 6 pin for older/lower powered gpu
Or as 8 pin
And yes for future reference
You need to be 100% certain if you want
To use modular cables that aren't for your exact psu
Even from same vendor they can be different
Corsair for example since they don't manufacture
Their own psus
They have 4 maybe even 5 different pin outs
If ever in doubt
Some like Corsair have a pin out compatibility chart
But can also just email cablemods and ask them
They're pretty good at replying
Even if you don't buy their cables in the end up :)

Man of Honour
Seems that 3080 needs 2 x 8pin PCIE connectors and 4070 1x16 pin PCIE connector. Looking in my bag of leadex cables there is neither. Is it just a case of buying the correct PCIE cable or is it not that simple (I saw some article recently about not using modular PSU cables between different vendors).

You can often buy or request a 12/16 pin cable that is specifically designed for the PSU (not sure about Superflower), if you don't want to use the supplied adapter.

The 4070 FE is 12/16, but most (all?) AIB cards use a single 8 pin. The 4070 Ti (and higher) uses 12/16.

Back
Top Bottom