What happens to throughput if.....

Associate
Greetings all. Currently hypothetical... In the market for a new more secure router, like an ASUS RT88 AX5700 for example. There is a 2.5Gb WAN port which I assume only allows speeds greater than the switches 1Gbps cap over wireless. What happens to the rest of the network throughput if my modem is putting out 1.3Gbps (assume for a moment). Is it a simple case of 1.3Gbps in 1.0Gbps out? I know these are not real world figures, but I suddenly thought, that if BT said your BB is going to 1.5Gbps tomorrow, only Wifi devices that can use the right protocols will go that fast. So PC and everything else would be capped. Is that correct?

Soldato
Nope. That 2.5 Gbps is the maximum bandwidth of the WAN connection but is limited by what is on the other end. If it's connected to a modem that does 1.3 Gbps then your maximum throughput with that modem is 1.3 Gbps. The link between the modem and the router may itself be 2.5 Gbps. I have gigabit wired ethernet, but only 80 Mbps internet. I get gigabit speeds between devices on my LAN but only 80 Mbps if I'm downloading from the internet.

Associate
OP
Hi Quartz. Yes I understand that. My network uses a 16 port managed Netgear switch with everything wired CAT6. All TV's, Sky boxes, PC's etc are wired. Only iPhones and iPads and my car are on wifi. So I understand my wired network had a bandwidth of upto 1Gbps. If my BB was miraculously upgraded to say 1.3Gbps my entire network would only get a max of 1gbps split oacross all devices. So I would loose the benefit of the 300Mbps extra (round figures). Correct! The 2.5Gb connection on the ASUS for eaxmple is only for wifi?

Incidently all I am trying to do is improvbe security but work in some future proofing if possible.

Soldato
Higher than 1Gbps switches and network cards are available, it's not just for WiFi. Even with a gigabit LAN, if you wired in more than one device to the router (and the modem is providing >1Gbps) then you could still exceed 1Gbps through WAN by using multiple gigabit clients at the same time. This stops being possible if you have a second gigabit firewall and/or router behind the modem, to (through) which all your LAN devices connect.

If security and privacy are a concern, avoid ASUS.

Soldato
Mikrotik RB4011. 10Gbps WAN port. You won’t fill that pipe anytime soon. It comes in WiFi and non WiFi models.

The 10 routed or bridged (switched) 1Gbps ports are a nice bonus but in reality it won’t switch faster than 5Gbps because of the internal architecture. It can route at 5Gbps though. It’s a beast of a router, especially for VPN use.

Back
Top Bottom