What hard drive(s)

Associate
Theres to many to chose from!!!

The motherboard im buying is the EVGA Nforce 680i one so thats SATA drives,

Is it better to have two drives and run them as one or just have one really fast drive like this one for example:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-073-WD

There a bit expensive, with the cost of one of those 150gb drives i could buy two 250gb drives and still be less costing!!!

bit confused... :confused:

Associate
the drive u have put here is a "raptor", it is also a 10,000 rpm drive.. raptors have super low latency times so thats why they cost the extra buck..

what is your planned use for the computer your building?

you might be able to get away with 7,500 rpm drives..

Associate
or even better like :

Windows / Games / Apps : Raptor 74GB
Media : 2 x 320GB Seagate 7200.10 RAID0

and a backup 500GB

works a treat :D

Suspended
Or use a older PATA drive for Windows (free!) then whatever for data/music/games. Costs less than a Raptor, and it'll do for now. If you're going to buy a 7200rpm SATA drive, you've still got that spare PATA so might as well use it. It might be PATA, but it'll be faster than using a single SATA for everything, OS/games

Associate
raptors are great hdds but if you don't like noise i wouldn't recommend 1
unless you don't mind sending more money on sound proofing them

Last edited:
Soldato
beast said:
What about Raptors in a RAID 0 array, wouldn't that kick ass?!

It sure would - if you play benchmarks.
In the real world - could save you as much as 10 seconds on loading some of those larger apps.

Personally I'd go for the "double the capcity for the same price" Seagate, WD, Samsung, Maxtor units.

Associate
OP
Ok, heres what i have lined up:

Western Digital Raptor 74GB WD740ADFD 10,000RPM SATA 16MB Cache: Windows

then

Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 3200KS SATA-II 16MB Cache: Games (Flight simulator 2004, flight sim X and all the other add'ons for flight sim, oh and battlefield 2+special forces.).

1) That a good set up?
2) How would i set that up when building the pc? set them up to show as two seperate drives and when installing things just chose the 320GB one to install them to?
3) How should i run them for best performance? (doubt it would matter to much, would it?)
74GB - strictly windows only?
320GB - games and other programs like photoshop, storing a few music CD's and other doccuments i have?

Thanks

Soldato
PilotTait said:
Ok, heres what i have lined up:

Western Digital Raptor 74GB WD740ADFD 10,000RPM SATA 16MB Cache: Windows

then

Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 3200KS SATA-II 16MB Cache: Games (Flight simulator 2004, flight sim X and all the other add'ons for flight sim, oh and battlefield 2+special forces.).

1) That a good set up?
2) How would i set that up when building the pc? set them up to show as two seperate drives and when installing things just chose the 320GB one to install them to?
3) How should i run them for best performance? (doubt it would matter to much, would it?)
74GB - strictly windows only?
320GB - games and other programs like photoshop, storing a few music CD's and other doccuments i have?

Thanks

Good, but I would put down a Seagate 7200.10 drive for the large one, due the perpendicular technology and a longer warranty means it's a very quick and well maintained drive.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-079-SE - 250Gb
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-083-SE - 400Gb

2) Yes, when you install Windows it will show both the drives, they will require formatting so that they are usable. Simply choose the 74Gb for Windows, then once it's installed and you boot up the other drive will be listed in My Computer. :)

3) Won't really matter, personally I put Windows + Apps on the Raptor for slightly quicker loading time. That's it.

Back
Top Bottom