What has been your best computer hardware / software purchase?

Associate
- Hardware : 3930k 6-core, it overclocked 1ghz without even pushing it, never had a CPU last so long. Year after a year I would look over the new stuff & realise there was nothing remotely affordable that offered a significant upgrade. Part of that may have been stagnation in the development: Ryzen & Threadripper came & blew the doors off.
- Software: Cinema 4D R8 (We're now on R20). It's basically formed the backbone of my professional career.

Associate
My Dell 34" U3415W 3440x1440 monitor - one of the first generation ultrawides. The extra immersion offered was a deal-breaker and kept me in to PC gaming, and it's been very handy for productivity.

I have to give an honourable mention to my old Laptop, which is a Core2Duo with a GTX 9800M and specced to be a 'multimedia centre' (Blu-ray, HDMI, mem card slot, etc). It's about 12 years old now and did a decent job as a desktop for playing the games I was interested in back then at 1080p (mostly MMOs), and has since been retired to sit beside the living room TV for it's original purpose (multimedia use). Undervolted it's completely silent so has been suitable for that purpose, though 12 years on it is starting to struggle a bit.

Soldato
LG34UC97-S, one of the first wave of 3440 x 1440 IPS panels. Was absolutely stunning and while I picked it up mostly with intention of powering it off a laptop, Work and games looked stunning on it. In turn got me into the whole building scene really (so a blessing in once sense and curse on my wallet :p ) to power it for gaming. As a result will always keep I think my primary monitor in that sort of aspect ratio and had it until I picked up one of the first ASUS PG348Q's which is largely the same but 100hz + G-Sync.

Soldato
Hardware wise? Amiga 500 Bat Pack. I loved that computer, it opened up a whole new world for me.

PC hardware wise? My original 3DFX Voodoo PCI - I got this on a whim at a computer fair (prior to the explosion of the internet and online retailers like OCUK, we had micro mart and trade fairs), I had no real 'need', but it quite literally transformed my gaming experience in Quake/Quake II. A close second goes to the Microsoft Optical Trackball, I purchased this about 16? years ago and it was so good I got another not long after, it allowed me to game again for extended periods (wrist problem) and work. I now use the wireless logitech equivalents. Honourable mentions also go to my dual c300a set-up, I was rocking a Supermicro P6DBE with them overclocked to 504 at stock voltage with a pair of MSI sockets and FOP32's with a minor mod when everyone else was buying Pentium 2's for silly money, Crucial M4 for obvious reasons. I suppose my MacBook should also get a mention, I suffered inferior alternatives to for years as I begrudged the price tag, I couldn't have been more wrong. It has and continues to be a perfect tool, apple has always done right by me, 5y/o screen replaced FOC earlier this month same day as I raised the issue without any agro.

Software wise? Win2K to leverage SMP properly as before that it was NT3.51/4 and multithreading was not a thing (you relied on the OS's task allocation to the least utilised PU) or Win7, an OS that has been superb for so long. Corel Draw literally made me hundreds of thousands of pounds over the years, I am grateful.

Back
Top Bottom