What have i done wrong?!

Soldato
New system, turned on and started installing stuff and transferring stuff over from my old system to the new systems desktop.

I then get a message saying cannot copy anymore to desktop as system full!

So, into this pc and i find everything has saved to the local drive 120gb SSD C drive and not touched the 2TB D drive.

I'm confused (and tired - i should have started this tomorrow morning)

Soldato
OP
2 drives pre-installed - the C Drive 120GB SSD and D Drive 2TB HDD.

I am only used to a main HDD with any other drive usually being the recovery drive, i have not yet used a desktop where the main drive is the smaller drive.

We have family folders full of pics, movies so i have set up shortcuts on the desktop where the actual files are stored on the HDD, also for movie downloads etc, program shortcut is on the desktop, but the files are downloaded to the HDD.

Is this what people do? How do you arrange/manage your day to day files and folders? This pc isn't just for gaming, i do work, kids do homework etc on it.

I'm a boon i know.

Soldato
Open file explorer, right click -> properties the folders on the navigation pane and change location to the other drive:
MeofJeb.png

I don't have anything saved to my desktop, all my shortcuts are kept on the start menu/task bar.

Soldato
OP
i have folders - dad, mum, kids and inside each folder is our individual stuff.

Inside my folder are sub folders ie work, CV, study, projects etc and all a mix of different file formats. If you have everything along the task bar, how do you keep track of everything? I am sure i am missing something here!

Soldato
I said both start menu and task bar :p. Task bar is most common programs (eg browser), start menu has the shortcuts to folders and less used programs. Windows 10's start menu has completely replaced the desktop icons for me.

What I the pic I posted earlier shows though is that it sets the default location for the main folders being documents, pictures, music, etc that other programs may store some of their files in (some Steam games creates files in the documents folder).

If you have made sure everything is on the other drive though, use this to work out what's taking up all the space: https://windirstat.net/

Back
Top Bottom