What Have You Done with Linux Lately?

Associate
set up fetchmail, fetchyahoo and courier imap so i can have the same email regardless of which OS i'm using, was a pain to keep copying the thunderbird profile over.

Soldato
Gave up on Mythtv and getting my TV card working, damned databases. I might return to it at later date with MythBuntu.

Just changed my login window to a pretty cool one:

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Avio-GDM?content=37395

Most downloaded one on there so you may have seen it already.

Also, just made a little script that turns on anti aliasing for compiz on boot up. Saves me doing it each time.

Associate
i've just been through and stripped out masses of services from hardy, and turned off a selection of hardware in my eee 900 to get better battery life. I also changed the boot process to be significantly less power hungry, it was eating 15-20% of my battery on each restart before I got stuck in, now its more like 0-5%, normally less than 2 :D.

Associate
Got just about everything I need up and running now, just need to work out why php server isn't working. The plan after that is to get torrentflux working. Sorted my samba problem, was a silly spelling mistake. Then finally I may just have to set up a CSS server :)

Permabanned
Managed to delete old kernals, saved a few hundred MB. Also installed startup manager and cleaned up the text boot selector (Ubuntu 8.04 and XP)

Soldato
Did a custom stage one install of Gentoo using the Conrad guide.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-696386-highlight-conrad.html

Must admit over the years I have always stuck with a supported stage 3 install so this was a little bit of departure for me. Did experience a few issues, mainly down to my own incompetence but glad to say the performance difference is very noticeable.:)

OSS-v4 seems really impressive too.

Associate
Re-flashed my NSLU2 with custom firmware, shoved TwonkyMedia Server on it, then built djmount in Ubuntu so that I can mount it within Linux as if it was a filesystem.

NSLU is without question the cheapest media server money can buy :)

--
Richard
Sig Under Construction

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom