what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Associate
Just got my beyerdynamic dt 770 250 ohm pro headphones today,

So my initial impressions of them so far are this,

The bass does not disappoint so if you like your bass and can afford these headphones then give them a go,

So yea if your not an extreme bass head but like your bass with a balanced sound signature and from what i know it has to be the dt 770 or the d7200.

The treble on these is different but can live with it,

that is all,

Dan.

Soldato
I previously wrote here that my Philips Fidelio X2HR had an issue with channel imbalance. I also reported that one day, after time, it had gone. I assumed that was burn in related.

Actually, I’m an idiot. Sort of.

I was using them with MacOS, which, if you look in the Audio MIDI settings has volume controls for both L&R channels. I had checked this previously, but somehow without the headphones plugged in. When you plug them in, the device there changes, with its own channel volume settings. Somehow, inexplicably, the volume of one channel was set lower than that of the other. I only realised this when yesterday the channel imbalance came back suddenly. So I don’t know why, but apparently this sometimes happens on its own. So if you have that issue with a Mac, take a look at the Audio MIDI settings in your applications.

Therefore, I do revise my opinion of these headphones. They sound very fun, maybe not the most analytical out there, but I’ve now tried them on a Denon AV amp and they sound significantly better than the MacBook. Much better separation and clarity. Made me smile listening to some of my favourite tracks, can appreciate them all over again. I think the best part of this set is the comfort and the build. They are incredibly comfortable and they are very solid and feel incredibly premium. Hard to imagine anything that feels better for less than £300, although I’m sure you lot may have some candidates. Overall, if you want a set for comfortable, easy listening, these are a great option.

Associate
How's the build quality on your Sundaras - had any issues?
They've must've rectified them in their newer batches because I've had zero problems (the cables do feel a bit thin but otherwise haven't broken yet), other than a minor issue with some hair pulling by the rotating pin thingy. They feel a ton better than my previous K702s but I guess that's what you get for such a price difference, good reference point nonetheless.

Soldato
Added the Focal Arche dac/amp to my Focal Utopia and Focal Stellia collection. Think I'm done now :)

11336223.jpg

Soldato
Wow, very nice setup - I think I'd be done too with that collection

Thanks!

Yep. That setup would certainly end my terrible case of ‘upgraditus’.

Yeah - I know myself too well - if I didn't grab these I'd spend an age in mid-fi switching from one to another and end up spending the same amount while never hitting this level. This is all @Ryanr1987 's fault starting me down this spiral at the start of lockdown when he sold me the brilliant Verum Ones on the MM :D

I got lucky, managed to grab the Utopia and Stellia mega cheap from the UK distributor and owners of either get a £700 discount on the Arche up until the end of the year. All in I think I've probably saved a few grand vs list price.

Associate
Thanks!

Yeah - I know myself too well - if I didn't grab these I'd spend an age in mid-fi switching from one to another and end up spending the same amount while never hitting this level. This is all @Ryanr1987 's fault starting me down this spiral at the start of lockdown when he sold me the brilliant Verum Ones on the MM :D

I got lucky, managed to grab the Utopia and Stellia mega cheap from the UK distributor and owners of either get a £700 discount on the Arche up until the end of the year. All in I think I've probably saved a few grand vs list price.

Very understood i panned out like that with mid-fi cans, it was okay but if you have the money and want the best then it is a no brainer.

Associate
Grabbed some Aeon X's from Fleabay. The original Aeons I thought were nice, a bit hot in the treble but a bit too overdamped which made the tuning pads useless. The Aeon Open 2's had a smoother treble but even more suffocating, warm, lush.

These X's have less dampening, the two notch tuning filters bring down the treble down to a nice level, very smooth and cohesive sounding. They're warm and lush but tasteful. Timbre is spot on, powerful type of sound, weighty, good dynamics. Those who say these don't sound dynamic are talking out their arse or under driving they slam more than any Audeze, not as much as a dynamic like the Focal Clear but they're leaner, more aggressive in general and dynamic drivers do hit harder, planers I find mostly have softer dynamics. These slam with weight, notes have heft especially drums. Vocals are awesome, full bodied, soulful, good range male voices sound chesty, female voices are lush but have a slight muted character compared to the HD650 or Focal clear but never recessed.

I can say that for a while, since the old Audeze days I've always just settled, the HD650 is a great headphone, it has always sounded medicore in the bass and a little sharp around 5k since the silent revision. These take what I like about both the old Audeze and HD650 and get close to where I can live with this for a while.

I've owned the LCD-4, great headphone, prob the best outside of the Abyss but timbre of voices was off putting. These Aeon X are not on that level, I'd say they're about on par with an LCD-2, HD650 for resolution, but what these do is have that nice, smooth full bodied sound, great timbre and full mid bass giving that sense of power and more natural decay.

I'll deffo be keeping these for a good while. Don't understand why they couldn't do this with the Aeon 2.

Thanks!

Sorry not sorry! Verums are awesome headphones, I'm keeping an eye out for Verum 2 when he gets around to it. Not sure what's the current state is of all the controversy with Garuspik as not been on SuperBestAudioFriends recrntly to catch up with the news.

Soldato
Settled on a Topping DX3 Pro in the end. Found it nicer to listen to then the G6. That was a touch to in your face. The DX3 sounds much more natural. Lovely and smooth but still plenty of detail. I prefer the form factor as well.

I did look at the DX7 pro and various Schit options like mentioned a page or so ago. But was getting into the range of more than double what the headphones cost.

if I ever go up a tier in the headphones I’ll do the same with the amp. Would love to try some Focal cans at some point. I love the pair of Focal Aria 906 I use on my stereo setup.

Apoloagies for quoting myself. But a bit of an update.

Soon after getting the DX3 Pro my desktop speakers started having connection issues (Dynaudio Xeo 10s). It was driving me bonkers, changed zones, upgraded firmware, nothing fixed it. I unplugged the DX3 Pro and all the isues went away. Guess it must be the bluetooth output thats causing some kind of interference.

I couldnt switch off the bluetooth output so back to Amazon it went.

New arrival yesterday. Topping E30 and matching L30.

Its a little bit more cash then the DX3 Pro, but its also a nice little step up in performance.

Soldato
Very late to the party with this particular device, but grabbed a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic XS from the MM on a whim to pair with my Fidelio X2HR. Didn't expect much difference given the DAC from my primary listening source (MacBook Pro) is meant to be decent.

Well, I was wrong. Initially I thought the highs were overly bright, but after a little while it's normal. I now hear real stereo separation, the soundstage is much, much bigger. Vocals are amazingly present and you can hear the richness and tone of them in a way you couldn't before. The separation of sounds is far superior, and I can hear what any of the instruments are now doing, individually. The bass is also still there in impact, but much 'tighter' and well-controlled. I'm pretty impressed that such a small DAC/AMP can make such a difference to these 32ohm headphones. Makes the mind boggle what kind of difference a more capable or modern DAC/AMP would deliver.

Problem is now, I can't easily go back to the onboard audio...or anything inferior without it sounding ****. I see how many of you get stuck into the upgrade bug.

Associate
Just picked up a pair of Sennheiser 560S to see what all the hype was about. I think it's well deserved quite honestly, very impressed with the clarity and bass quality so far.

Last edited:
Associate
First time moving from ear buds or cheap headphones and have only used wireless gaming headsets (sony ps4 platinums).
I've started with some Philips SHP9500 I got off ebay and a cheap sybasonic dac. I can't believe after all these years I've never done this before.
Considering this is a very cheap setup less than £100 I'm blown away by it and has left me wanting to see what more expensive setups are like.
It begins!

Soldato
Just got my beyerdynamic dt 770 250 ohm pro headphones today,

So my initial impressions of them so far are this,

The bass does not disappoint so if you like your bass and can afford these headphones then give them a go,

So yea if your not an extreme bass head but like your bass with a balanced sound signature and from what i know it has to be the dt 770 or the d7200.

The treble on these is different but can live with it,

that is all,

Dan.

I was looking at these yesterday and put them on my wishlist. Watching some reviews today and I can't decide if I should go with the 250 Ohm for use on my PC. I do use a Sound Blaster Z sound card and looking at the specs of it it looks like it should be able to drive 600 Ohm headphones but I'm not 100% sure if I'm interpretting the specs correctly.

Back
Top Bottom