what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Man of Honour
That was quick:

x8eeIuL.jpeg
Yl28hWU.jpeg

Have to say the hard shell cases and accessories like the individually pouched memory foam ear pads are a nice touch, the super lightweight braided 3.5mm cable too. The fact that brands that charge more don't give you things like this is a mystery once again.

Those planars look rather cool, not listened yet, gotta pop out shortly so will demo them when I get back.

Man of Honour
So it took a while to figure out WTF Windows 11 is up to in terms of actually choosing bluetooth audio codecs. turns out it doesn't do anything and just selects the basleine AAC which maxes out at 16-bit 48KHz. My default output is 24-bit out of preference. but anyway the AAC codec has sibilance distortion on various songs that I knew wasn't right as on my phone the same songs sound perfect. This is on the Planars btw and on the Galaxy S24 it uses aptX-HD.

I found an Alternative A2DP BT driver for Windows, not free but $7 for a license, and allows you to manually select aptX-HD/LDAC etc and apply it to any connected bluetooth headphones. Much better:

qgf5lUl.png

So far not observed any speech latency watching videos, but there is noticeable latency in games. Music sounds superb, the bass of planars is something else, I read about it before but never could picture how they sound, it seems impossible to distort them yet they are so detailed with bass. The highs and vocals sound close to my HD650, just less airy due to being closed back. Seasick Steve tracks on these sound sublime, his voice takes centre stage in front of my head and the surrounding instruments are perfectly positioned, just more central than on the 650s. BB King's voice is equally impressive in the songs I have of his.

Meg Birch's Ain't no sunshine acoustic cover is a perfect track for both HD650 and these planars. Both give her voice a lot of power in a different way for each headphone. No sibilance at all from what I have heard so far.

Downside is that when using wired mode there is electrical interference I can hear when connected to the Topping MX3s. When the HD650s are connected there is no interference so it's some kind of earthing issue perhaps with the planars when using wired since they are digital powered headphones and don't function as passive headphones when plugged in via 3.5mm, you still have to turn them on.

I'm really impressed to the point I want open air planars now :o

Man of Honour
Need to check out how they compare to the HD650s, they seem to be priced in-line with them as new. The 650s still sell new for at least £225, I paid £220 for them 10 years ago!!

Edit*
375 grams weight, that's heavier than the 329g of the Edifier planars!

Having now spent quite a bit of time wearing these, I have to say that when I pop the HD650 back on the lighter weight is immediately more appreciated. I think if I ever got new cans to replace the HD650 then the weight would have to be in the region of 250g which is what the HD650 weighs. Sennheiser use lightweight plastics, but after 10 years the 650s still looka nd feel like new which says a lot about the type of plastic they use I guess.

Look at the size difference:

8iw8lnk.jpeg

Last edited:
Associate
Having now spent quite a bit of time wearing these, I have to say that when I pop the HD650 back on the lighter weight is immediately more appreciated. I think if I ever got new cans to replace the HD650 then the weight would have to be in the region of 250g which is what the HD650 weighs. Sennheiser use lightweight plastics, but after 10 years the 650s still looka nd feel like new which says a lot about the type of plastic they use I guess.

I think weight can help with comfort particularly when using headphones or headset for gaming, or anything where you are wearing for hours on end. Lighter the better imo. I suspect for me 300g, or lower is the sweet spot and probably helps to explain why some of my favourite headphones or headsets are all below this weight; PC38x, TYGR 300R, K702. One of the reasons I've never bought the Maxwell. I know they are great and probably one of the best out there for gaming and I'd love their sound. But they are heavy and that for me is a red flag.

I've only recently bought the HD 650s so I don't know where I rank them just yet but again the weight is awesome.

Man of Honour
Yup I think weight trumps all for comfort when it comes to long sessions whether gaming or music. Probably why I've kept going back to Sennheiser for decades ever since buying my first, the HD555. I'll keep using the Edifier S3 though as the sound is really excellent and the convenience of wireless on PC with aptX HD means I can watch or listen to media without a cable getting in the way.

Still use the Senns of course.

Last edited:
Associate
I suppose the other thing is that planars tend to add weight and often aren't as light. Sony's new PS Pulse Elites are 350g even though the frame is their usual plastic. So in that sense a trade off for that type of sound.

Associate
You enjoying the Thruthear Crincale Reds? You have many IEMs?

That was nice of them to do that, I need to throw some more money their way!
I've just got the Truthear and some Kiwiears, both seem good for my purpose, as I only use them whilst out and about, and hoping they'll replace my old ANC's which I use for flying :confused:
I'm wanting a power amp and some bookshelf speakers, also got a 7 day trip to NY coming up, so maybe after that I might try some higher level IEM's, haven't got a DAP, just use my S23U, so I don't know if they would make any difference.

Associate
Yup I think weight trumps all for comfort when it comes to long sessions whether gaming or music. Probably why I've kept going back to Sennheiser for decades ever since buying my first, the HD555. I'll keep using the Edifier S3 though as the sound is really excellent and the convenience of wireless on PC with aptX HD means I can watch or listen to media without a cable getting in the way.

Still use the Senns of course.
You obviously don't have big ears then because there's nothing worse for comfort than the drivers pushing against your ears. This rules out most Sennheiser headphones for me as most are too shallow and I can't find a good pad replacement that doesn't destroy the sound quality. I do have a pair of Sennheiser HD560S which I can tolerate a few hours for gaming as they only slightly press against my ears. For everything else I use HifiMan Sundaras with ZMF Auteur Pads (Suede) which are extremely comfortable and I don't find the weight to be a problem at all.

Last edited:
Associate
I do have a pair of Sennheiser HD560S which I can tolerate a few hours for gaming as they only slightly press against my ears.

I bought the HD 560S last year and didn't notice at first that the hinge on the rear of each cup was rubbing against my ear, particularly the right side. Once I realised that I couldn't 'unfeel' it - if that makes sense. Although I suppose aftermarket pads could solve that issue, albeit modify the sound potentially.

The HD 6xx line of headphones do have more depth in the stock earcups than the HD 5xx line. As well as being lightweight.

Last edited:
I've just got the Truthear and some Kiwiears, both seem good for my purpose, as I only use them whilst out and about, and hoping they'll replace my old ANC's which I use for flying :confused:
I'm wanting a power amp and some bookshelf speakers, also got a 7 day trip to NY coming up, so maybe after that I might try some higher level IEM's, haven't got a DAP, just use my S23U, so I don't know if they would make any difference.

DAPs are definitely not essential, but a good little dongle dac like Qudelix 5k which does BT and wired usb-c will work wonders with any android phone and power IEMs very well.

Associate
DAPs are definitely not essential, but a good little dongle dac like Qudelix 5k which does BT and wired usb-c will work wonders with any android phone and power IEMs very well.
To be honest, I've been on and off looking at portable DAC's, one that caught my eye and gets some good reviews is the Aune Yuki, but no review on the Audio Science Review site.
I'll take a look at the Qudelix though and get a DAC before I go to New York. Cheers.

Associate
How deep are the 6xx line? I think I remember reading that they are shallower than the HD 560S.

Oops. You might be right. I quickly replied on phone and my memory might have been playing tricks.

I measure my HD650 pair at 2.5-2.6cm in depth. And they have that layer of foam in-between them which the HR 560S don't have. I've sold my 560S but the angled drivers will help with their depth.

I know that I can feel the hinge bulge on the 560S when I don't feel anything touching my ear on the 650. And it feels like the 650s have thicker pads.

Associate
Oops. You might be right. I quickly replied on phone and my memory might have been playing tricks.

I measure my HD650 pair at 2.5-2.6cm in depth. And they have that layer of foam in-between them which the HR 560S don't have. I've sold my 560S but the angled drivers will help with their depth.

I know that I can feel the hinge bulge on the 560S when I don't feel anything touching my ear on the 650. And it feels like the 650s have thicker pads.
Actually it looks like there are some good replacement pads for the HD6XX line now that don't ruin the sound - ZMF HD6xx+ Sub Pads (Suede Perforated). I'm tempted to try the HD 650 but it would probably be a waste of money as I think I'd miss the sub-bass on the Sundara too much (with oratory1990 EQ).

Associate
Actually it looks like there are some good replacement pads for the HD6XX line now that don't ruin the sound - ZMF HD6xx+ Sub Pads (Suede Perforated). I'm tempted to try the HD 650 but it would probably be a waste of money as I think I'd miss the sub-bass on the Sundara too much (with oratory1990 EQ).
Yea, I think that's one of the benefits of these classic, long-standing headphones; aftermarket support. Something I was reminded recently when watching Custom Cans talking about not supporting a particular new model as it needed to sell first.

I only recently got the HD 650s and still need to spend more time with them, although I've loved their presentation so far. Funnily enough it was between them and the Sundara's for a set for music. I really want to be 'less is more' and limit myself to just a few pairs (and hence have sold a few pairs on recently). But it's hard not to look at the Sundara's and want to try them.

Associate
I've had my HD580s for 20 years :eyes: bought them off the market place for £80 back in 2004 and sent them off to Sennheisers to be refurbed about 10 years ago for £50 and the came back practically brand new. I keep wanting to change them for something wireless but don't think anything would ever match them.

Man of Honour
Yea, I think that's one of the benefits of these classic, long-standing headphones; aftermarket support. Something I was reminded recently when watching Custom Cans talking about not supporting a particular new model as it needed to sell first.

I only recently got the HD 650s and still need to spend more time with them, although I've loved their presentation so far. Funnily enough it was between them and the Sundara's for a set for music. I really want to be 'less is more' and limit myself to just a few pairs (and hence have sold a few pairs on recently). But it's hard not to look at the Sundara's and want to try them.
What amp are you powering them with? I've had mine powered by multiple amps over the years and the better the headphones out is the better the volume/power of them you experience, also over time you gain a true appreciation for how they sound. It's unlikely you will ever get rid of them after as there really isn't much of a replacement for them. There's a reason why they've been around for so long with a rather large community for them as well as aftermarket support. I need to order a new set of earpads (OEM again having tried aftermarket but not found any that meet the quality standard) and keep them spare as I bought a set of OEM pads a few years ago which are still like new so waiting for the inevitable wearing out of them.

I've decided to keep the Edifier STAX S3 and use as a dual pair with the HD650. For wireless use without sacrificing sound quality I'll use the Edis on my PC in bluetooth mode (aptX HD), the quality is superb and all boxes are ticked really having now spent what must be 20 hours+ on them and flicking back and forth with the HD650. I noticed that there are some cheaper planars on the market , the HiFiMAN HE400se, they are £108 online and I watched a few reviews, they are excellent it seems but the consistent review feedback is that they are excellent for the price, they offer entry into the plaanar sound, but lose out on stereo imaging that more expensive cans have, as well imaging accuracy, also even though they are planars, they don't kick bass out like higher quality planars, so fro what I've seen I don't think they would come close to the Edifiers which seem to use high quality planar drivers from Audeze.

Until now I'd have never considered a closed-back headphone as never really heard any that had a wide enough soundstage that was to my liking, I think these have definitely change dthat, and with 80 hours of battery life this sorts any runtime concerns out.

Back
Top Bottom