What I ate in Japan

Caporegime
OP
what were your thoughts on the abalone? I've had it 'cantonese style' in hong kong and wouldn't repeat the experience :eek:

That was probably my least favourite, it just wasn't worth the hype or cost that they normally attract. I prefer an oyster or clamps personally for that kind of food.

The best piece was the Otoro, that was really nice, the pickles too was surprisingly nice and crunchy, probably a change in texture from all the soft pieces made it stand out. The Mekan orange also deserves a mention, you see that there is no rind on it, i don't know why, i saw him cut it up and there is very little to no rind in this species they have in Japan. it was practically just all juice.

Soldato
That was probably my least favourite, it just wasn't worth the hype or cost that they normally attract. I prefer an oyster or clamps personally for that kind of food.

The best piece was the Otoro, that was really nice, the pickles too was surprisingly nice and crunchy, probably a change in texture from all the soft pieces made it stand out. The Mekan orange also deserves a mention, you see that there is no rind on it, i don't know why, i saw him cut it up and there is very little to no rind in this species they have in Japan. it was practically just all juice.
I'd say the only thing I've had worse than abalone is sea urchin, that was at a japanese restaurant. My local one plays it a bit safe on the sushi side but one that opened in town after covid does eel, octopus, mackerel etc and all really good, i need to get back there soon.

Caporegime
OP
I'd say the only thing I've had worse than abalone is sea urchin, that was at a japanese restaurant. My local one plays it a bit safe on the sushi side but one that opened in town after covid does eel, octopus, mackerel etc and all really good, i need to get back there soon.

Sea Urchin was one of the pieces, the Uni. It was okay, just like mush. When it's fresh, it doesn't really taste of that much, like a cream but a little ocean taste. I would say that is like the middle of the rankings.

A lot of asian dishes like that kind of texture, the slimy, mushy, creamy texture, something that isn't so prevalent in the west.

Eel is done really well generally everywhere, especially when grilled on rice. It's amazing, as opposed to the jelled eels here, which is like......no thanks!

Soldato
Sea Urchin was one of the pieces, the Uni. It was okay, just like mush. When it's fresh, it doesn't really taste of that much, like a cream but a little ocean taste. I would say that is like the middle of the rankings.

A lot of asian dishes like that kind of texture, the slimy, mushy, creamy texture, something that isn't so prevalent in the west.

Eel is done really well generally everywhere, especially when grilled on rice. It's amazing, as opposed to the jelled eels here, which is like......no thanks!
You got to think what's the point though if it doesn't taste of much

Soldato
Never really had Japan on the list of places to go and visit, one because I don't much about the region and second i wasn't sure i'd get on with a lot of the food as it looks to be quite fishy.

However, your pics and what youve gone through here make it look really interesting. The food also doesnt look bad at all and would definitely have no trouble filling my belly. Probably not somewhere for the immediate future but definitely somewhere i'd be keen to look into more.

Caporegime
OP
@Raymond Lin does many dishes contain dairy eggs or nuts? The reason I ask is because of allergy

Eggs, not unless the dish has it. Nuts however, they might cook with peanut oil, or they have soy? are you allergic to soy?

I would say the most prevalent ingredient would be soy and fish (it is used in dashi, the base of practically anything in a bowl).

Soldato
Eggs, not unless the dish has it. Nuts however, they might cook with peanut oil, or they have soy? are you allergic to soy?

I would say the most prevalent ingredient would be soy and fish (it is used in dashi, the base of practically anything in a bowl).
Nope I'm ok with soy.

I think I've had chips deep fried in peanut oil and still alive lool

Caporegime
OP
Nope I'm ok with soy.

I think I've had chips deep fried in peanut oil and still alive lool

You should be okay then, ramen usually come with an egg though, but some don't, those that do, they are often served sliced in half.

But no eggs in sushi unless you have the one with egg on it. Noodles are generally wheat noodles, not egg noodles, like Soba. You can eat all the curry, sandwiches too. Just stay away from Omurice and egg sandwiches. I think you are fine.

Peanut oil would be my only concern, they might use it in the oils for the ramen for example.

Caporegime
OP
My wife and I visit Japan for two weeks in May. Absolutely buzzing for the food, thanks for the great pics and advise.

You will love it! If it’s the first week…book all your travels or tickets now.

It’s going to be rainy season come June so if you are going near end of May, when it rains, umbrellas are sold in konbini for like £5-8. I love the clear ones. I normally just get it and then leave it behind at the end of the trip. I’ve done that twice now!

Oh, at the end of the meal, the word to say isn’t “Arigato”, but it is “Gochi cho sama desu”. That’s the phrase to use, you don’t say thanks but “this was a feast”.

Back
Top Bottom