What if I shot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow in York city walls?

Soldato
If it's legal, you'd get away w/ it. You might get locked up for not practicing archery on a Sunday though, unless you're keeping your training up for such an occasion.

Soldato
When I grew up there was a similar one about true blooded Englishmen being allowed to kill any Welshman found within the city walls of Chester outside of daylight hours. Fairly sure it was never tested in court ;)

Caporegime
There are loads of these and most are covered by the implied repeal case.

Some are still enforced though despite their age and have never been superseded by a newer act.

1872 Licensing Act, which states: “It is Illegal to be drunk in the pub.”The legislation adds: “Every person found drunk… on any licensed premises, shall be liable to a penalty”. Still enforced but only to deal with excessive public drunkenness.

All beached whales and sturgeons must be offered to the Reigning Monarch. This is a 1322 law and was last used in 2004 when a fisherman caught a Sturgeon.

It is illegal to carry a plank along a pavement (as well as any ladder, wheel, pole, cask, placard, showboard, or hoop) in the Metropolitan Police District

MPs are not allowed to wear armour in Parliament

It is an offence to be drunk and in charge of cattle in England and Wales

It is illegal to jump the queue in the Tube ticket hall

It is illegal to handle a salmon in suspicious circumstances

It is illegal to drive to Church on a Sunday and the penalty is to have your car impounded. (Nobody enforces this nowadays but could do)

One that definitely doesnt exist anymore is that its legal to urinate in a policeman’s helmet if you are pregnant. That went some time ago.

I love stuff like this.

Last edited:
Associate
Swap out the city of the shooting to Glasgow, wont matter to the law as its still illegal but the rest of us can have a good laugh watching you run like your underwear is on fire.
:p

Soldato
When I grew up there was a similar one about true blooded Englishmen being allowed to kill any Welshman found within the city walls of Chester outside of daylight hours. Fairly sure it was never tested in court ;)
Post Norman invasion, it's been getting ever less likely to find true-blooded examples of anyone from the native nations.

Strong username to thread content. Not Welsh or Scottish are you?
The laws of shooting Welsh/Scotsmen tend to specify targets seen/found entering the City of [Insert Name], suggesting an enabling act for local militia forces.
Username implies he was shot while leaving, so flawed reasoning! :D

Back
Top Bottom