What is a good salary in UK at present?

Man of Honour
I'm a civil engineer but working in a senior role in vertical construction. My wife works as PM for NZs largest Telco company. It's safe to say that we have it extremely sweet. We're looking at serious drops in income if we move back to the UK. I genuinely cannot believe the rubbish money on offer.

We're also looking at Dublin as the salaries in our fields on offer is higher, but they seem to have a housing shortage/crisis from what I read. Then there's the passport/visa thing. Not sure what the deal is for UK passport holders (and now NZ passport holders) these days with moving to Ireland.
If you have a British passport then post-Brexit, Ireland is one of the easier countries to move to as you don't need a visa or work permit as I understand it.

For most countries UK citizens now need a visa and/or some other form of work permit, and as most of those are granted only with a secure job offer, that makes emigration a pipe dream for many, since you will only get a job if a) there is no applicant from that country suitable b) no other EU applicant suitable or c) you have some niche skill that is in high demand.

I really do feel for anyone trying to emigrate from the UK post Brexit, but Ireland is a notable exception.

Soldato
If you have a British passport then post-Brexit, Ireland is one of the easier countries to move to as you don't need a visa or work permit as I understand it.

For most countries UK citizens now need a visa and/or some other form of work permit, and as most of those are granted only with a secure job offer, that makes emigration a pipe dream for many, since you will only get a job if a) there is no applicant from that country suitable b) no other EU applicant suitable or c) you have some niche skill that is in high demand.

I really do feel for anyone trying to emigrate from the UK post Brexit, but Ireland is a notable exception.
The irony is that people think they voted for more freedom. Freedumb...

Soldato

Difficult but not impossible. Just doesn't apply to people who have an average Joe job who think they can move to Spain and live in the sun.

But there are other places in the world other than Europe to live and work.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Will keep that in mind when searching for a place. Is Virgin Media pretty good then?

I wouldn't use them personally. They're expensive. Just get a fibre to premises connection it'll be cheaper. Especially if you don't need 100 channels of crap that comes with the TV services they offer.

I'm on a 500mbps FTTP connection and it costs me less than £30/m

Soldato
With Virgin it's basically a case of, if you can't get FTTP then you have Virgin for coaxial, or Openreach for copper cable. It's a 2 horse race in terms of infrastructure and then you pick your middleman for Openreach.

Man of Honour
Difficult but not impossible. Just doesn't apply to people who have an average Joe job who think they can move to Spain and live in the sun.

But there are other places in the world other than Europe to live and work.
Not impossible, no - but more difficult than I think people generally realise.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom