What is Apples target market for the new iPads?

Associate
I guess I fall into the “don’t need it for 99%, but I’ll get one anyway” camp.

It falls down to two things:

1) The screen-I can’t go back to a 60hz screen. I’ve tried, didn’t work for me. OLED is a bonus.

2 Updates/Longevity-my 2018 iPad Pro is probably one of my best Apple purchases ever and should I get another 6 years worth of updates (and with a brand spanking new M4 chip in it, it should), then I personally consider it fantastic vfm.

And then I get to pass down my 2018 iPad Pro down the family ladder and everyone is happy.

Associate
I think the only people who benefit from the iPad are creative individuals. You could argue that they are handy for taking quick notes, but I'd much rather buy a reMarkable before buying an iPad. They can also be convenient for someone who needs to manage something when walking around, like how Apple staff manage appointments in-store, but that's not a personal use-case.

Remarkable has very limited utility compared to an iPad. They are also poor for business use as you can't use Intune or any other MDM solution on them. With the reduced weight of the Pro it definitely becomes more viable as a note taking solution.

Associate
OP
I guess I fall into the “don’t need it for 99%, but I’ll get one anyway” camp.

It falls down to two things:

1) The screen-I can’t go back to a 60hz screen. I’ve tried, didn’t work for me. OLED is a bonus.

2 Updates/Longevity-my 2018 iPad Pro is probably one of my best Apple purchases ever and should I get another 6 years worth of updates (and with a brand spanking new M4 chip in it, it should), then I personally consider it fantastic vfm.

And then I get to pass down my 2018 iPad Pro down the family ladder and everyone is happy.

Your second point there is extremely relevant. I have Apple tech thats years old and still functioning and with at least something of a second hand value or could be passed on if required

Associate
Remarkable has very limited utility compared to an iPad. They are also poor for business use as you can't use Intune or any other MDM solution on them. With the reduced weight of the Pro it definitely becomes more viable as a note taking solution.
This is why we use iPads for our varying sales teams. We have two of our own apps that they use and then also have the org level Notability app for them too (essentially limits certain features and handles all the backups so there's never a risk of loss) - but it also means we can create certain 'notes' and share across the entire team.

If we didn't have the two apps then I'm not sure what other use they'd have for the iPads (outside presentations and note taking) but it does become a bit of an all-in-one solution for us.

Soldato
It’s fashionable to criticise the iPad but I wonder how many of the haters have actually lived with it.

I do a lot of travel for work and it is a superior experience in every single way to lugging around a MBP.

Would I use one if I was a professional wedding photographer? No. Do I use one as a casual amateur, Yes. Do I miss the experience of editing photos on my old MBP - yes but the output is identical and the convenience of the iPad far outweighs the additional utility offered by the MBP. After 1.5 years with my iPad Pro, I have no desire whatsoever to ever purchase a MBP again (aside from the Lightroom overheating issues but I won’t let that detract from the point I’m making).

I am however really disappointed with Apple. I was more than happy to upgrade to the M4 but out of principle I am not spending £500 on new accessories when there is no reason why it can’t be compatible with my existing ones. The UK prices are also beyond a joke and not giving the fancy glass as an option on lower spec models (as well as reduced memory) is also an insult. It’s Tim Cook and corporate greed at its worst and I really hope enough people share my sentiment for it to materially impact their expected iPad revenue growth over the next few quarters.

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s fashionable to criticise the iPad but I wonder how many of the haters have actually lived with it.

I do a lot of travel for work and it is a superior experience in every single way to lugging around a MBP.

Would I use one if I was a professional wedding photographer? No. Do I use one as a casual amateur, Yes. Do I miss the experience of editing photos on my old MBP - yes but the output is identical and the convenience of the iPad far outweighs the additional utility offered by the MBP. After 1.5 years with my iPad Pro, I have no desire whatsoever to ever purchase a MBP again (aside from the Lightroom overheating issues but I won’t let that detract from the point I’m making).

I am however really disappointed with Apple. I was more than happy to upgrade to the M4 but out of principle I am not spending £500 on new accessories when there is no reason why it can’t be compatible with my existing ones. The UK prices are also beyond a joke and not giving the fancy glass as an option on lower spec models (as well as reduced memory) is also an insult. It’s Tim Cook and corporate greed at its worst and I really hope enough people share my sentiment for it to materially impact their expected iPad revenue growth over the next few quarters.

I would be buying non Apple accessories. But i understand what you are saying. Apple are greedy sods..

Associate
My M1 iPad Pro is a great device … and the M4 technoligically very good … but any time I’ve tried to create something with it, I’ve invariably ended up back on the PC to do it particularly when shifting data between apps ( like repeated copy pastes between things ) … and I think is what stalls the iPad now … the OS. The hardware so far outstrips the software, and I think that gap is going to get bigger. At the same time, people will think they can get by with the older stuff, reducing the sales of the top end M4.

And to have the new accessories not work with the older stuff … sigh.

Associate
OP
My M1 iPad Pro is a great device … and the M4 technoligically very good … but any time I’ve tried to create something with it, I’ve invariably ended up back on the PC to do it particularly when shifting data between apps ( like repeated copy pastes between things ) … and I think is what stalls the iPad now … the OS. The hardware so far outstrips the software, and I think that gap is going to get bigger. At the same time, people will think they can get by with the older stuff, reducing the sales of the top end M4.

And to have the new accessories not work with the older stuff … sigh.

Thats essentially what most people seem to be saying unless there is a massive software bump coming up next month that unlocks the superior hardware in the M4 iPad. But even if thats the case surely Apple are just cannibalising sales of their own laptops by doing this?

I watched a Youtube video this weekend that I thought was really quite thought provoking. Basically the viewpoint was that Apple are accidentally killing their own market. The theory is thus......

A lot of the target market for the iPad is the creative types - artists, graphic designers, photographers, film makers, musicians that type of thing, and a lot of their "sausage machine" work will be designing things, logos, photos, music etc for individuals and small businesses. Theses guys may use the iPad or at least the Apple ecosystem to create these things. However if Apple get on board with AI and take to the mass market in their products, the individuals themselves can just get the iPad to create the content they require directly and cut out paying the creative guy. The iPad will create the logo for you using the parameters you give it etc etc. I think its an interesting potential scenario.

Associate
Interesting take from Dave2D - his thoughts towards the end are similar to how I feel.

The 2018 iPad Pro that I have is great and I'm still using it every single day - and whilst the new Pros this year are all definitely better it does make me realise that the actual experience doesn't change.

My 2018 Pro has been such a great device, especially for the two apps we run at work as well as note taking. Then for personal use it's a great Netflix, YouTube, email and browsing device - but it does all of that really well currently. Battery life is dropping but it's 6 years old at this point.

Will the new 2024 Pro be better? Yeah, definitely - but I'm not sure it'll be enough of a leap for me to really notice the improvements.

Soldato
My 2018 Pro has been such a great device, especially for the two apps we run at work as well as note taking. Then for personal use it's a great Netflix, YouTube, email and browsing device - but it does all of that really well currently. Battery life is dropping but it's 6 years old at this point.

This literally is the only reason I am sending off my 2019 Pro for trade in this morning. Mine is at 87% and is used just for browsing, email and watching content really. It has served me well but I have to admit that battery just isn't strong anymore. I wish Apple allowed for reasonable priced battery replacements on these things...but then they don't sell higher models. It has easily been the best tablet/device I own.

I've got a 2024 iPad Air coming to replace it tommorow. I was surprised to see that this model is thicker than the 2019 iPad Pro by a small amount. I'll probably miss promotion on the display but we'll see.

Last edited:
Associate
I've got a 2024 iPad Air coming to replace it tommorow. I was surprised to see that this model is thicker than the 2019 iPad Pro by a small amount. I'll probably miss pro-motion on the display but we'll see.
The 120hz pro-motion is the one thing I'm worried I'd notice. When I use my wife's iPad it's almost a bit too stuttery just browsing recipes etc. compared to the Pro but I guess it's one of those things you get used to?

I've never cared for +60hz on my phone but since having it on the iPad it's been great. I might nip to the Apple Store near us and have a play with the new Airs and Pros to see what they're like. It's a shame you can't loan devices for a week or so.

Associate
I have never really used an Ipad until the Ipad pro 2018. I mean i did have a go on a friends years earlier when it was just ipad and thought it was alright but nothing special.

That all changed when I was browsing Gumtree or marketplace for local goodies and some guy was selling it cheap and no one was interested in it. Decided to take a chance on it. Oh boy I was pleasantly suprised. I just loved it from the get go. Yeah it was no MacOs and this was before they seperated iOS and iPadOS but i loved it to bits.

The Ipad Pro with all its pros and cons is by far my fave apple device and quite possibly one of my fave ever tech items I have ever bought in my life. the only thing I rate higher than an Ipad pro is the 1080ti and time crisis G con 45 gun....

Soldato
Just like the Ars Technica review it makes me excited to see the M4 in a Macbook. Specifically the Air. May be enough for me to upgrade from my M2.

Last edited:
Associate
Target market will be anyone they can persuade to buy it Unless there is something bigger in the pipeline for ipadOS then the M4 looks very over kill? I had an 11” pre M1 chip iPad Pro which I liked a lot but in the end the Mrs snagged it off me. In ‘22 I bought a 1Tb 12.9’ iPad Pro with mobile data as well as WiFi off the Apple refurb shop. Display is lovely, it never struggles with anything including Lightroom. I bought a s/h Magic Keyboard and was gifted a pencil. I really like it but there are a lot of frustrations. I’m sure it’ll never get MacOS but think it needs something in between? Whatever, I’m sure Apple won’t struggle to move the new iPads.

Associate
I don't see the point in an iPad vs just getting a Macbook Air. Only use case I can think of is for showing photos in person to older relatives with poor eyesight who struggle looking at my phone screen.

Associate
I don't see the point in an iPad vs just getting a Macbook Air. Only use case I can think of is for showing photos in person to older relatives with poor eyesight who struggle looking at my phone screen.
I don't want to have a Macbook on my lap whilst sitting in bed in the evening. The iPad fits that need perfectly for me.

Associate
Interesting take from Dave2D - his thoughts towards the end are similar to how I feel.

The 2018 iPad Pro that I have is great and I'm still using it every single day - and whilst the new Pros this year are all definitely better it does make me realise that the actual experience doesn't change.

Will the new 2024 Pro be better? Yeah, definitely - but I'm not sure it'll be enough of a leap for me to really notice the improvements.

Lots of opinion that previous devices are still good as no real leap in iPad OS so with that said what is the best value device on the second hand market that can still be usable for the foreseeable future for light admin tasks, kids homework apps and media usage?

Back
Top Bottom