What is fundamentally flawed on your car?

Soldato
2010 Toyota Avensis 1.8 petrol - The throttle response is truly terrible but the worst is the lack of any form of hill hold combined with the electronic handbrake makes it a massive pain if there's ever any traffic on an uphill bit of road.

2012 Suzuki swift sport - if you flip the parcel shelf up putting something in the tiny boot and close it, the shelf will stick up blocking the rear window completely and is jammed in place with no way if putting it back down unless you open the boot again.

2016 VW caddy - really really sharp bit of plastic just under the radio right in front of the gear stick, have skinned my knuckles on it many times. I do generally hate almost everything else about that van as well but that's another story :p

Associate
Not much to be honest. Nissan knocked it out the park with the 14/15 version of the leaf. Aside from the obvious battery size compared to more modern EVs, DAB radio seems like a weird omission considering the level of tech elsewhere in the car. That and having to press Confirm on the sat-nav every time the car turns on. It must be a Nissan thing, because our old X-Trail had the same annoyance.
must be japanese fault our honda is the same .

mondeo the battery low warning for key/car every 3 months or so fed up changing key batteries ....

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Having an app that can open the bonnet and the boot from anywhere in the world, but a lack of power-assisted bonnet closure even though it exists for the boot.

It means I rarely store anything in the bonnet compartment as I have to faff about closing it, plus it always feels like I'm going to cave said bonnet in trying to get it to latch. Double jeopardy comes in to play if you've just washed the car and want to close the bonnet without paw prints on the thing.

Soldato
Tiny glovebox because the fusebox wasn't moved for RHD configuration. You can't even fit the user manual in there without folding/scrunching it over.

Renault Zoe?

My Octavia has a couple.

• A single press of the fob only unlocks the drivers door, you need to double-press the unlock button to unlock all the doors.
  • When you adjust the driver's wing mirror, the passenger side moves as well. I know it's supposed to be a convenience thing, but it basically does the opposite and means a small tweak to the driver side means I have then reset the passenger side to where it was before.
  • The mirrors automatically fold when you hold the fob locking button down - great. But they don't unfold when you unlock the car, and the puddle lights don't switch on if they are folded. So if you come back to your car in the dark in the rain... no puddle lights >_<

Soldato
My Octavia has a couple.

• A single press of the fob only unlocks the drivers door, you need to double-press the unlock button to unlock all the doors.
  • When you adjust the driver's wing mirror, the passenger side moves as well. I know it's supposed to be a convenience thing, but it basically does the opposite and means a small tweak to the driver side means I have then reset the passenger side to where it was before.

Most VAG cars have done that for over 20 years, my Bora had them. It's called a feature.

Associate
Renault Zoe?

My Octavia has a couple.

• The mirrors automatically fold when you hold the fob locking button down - great. But they don't unfold when you unlock the car, and the puddle lights don't switch on if they are folded. So if you come back to your car in the dark in the rain... no puddle lights >_<
The first one can be worked around (or could on our SEATs a while back) via Vag-com. I'd be surprised if you can't turn off the second one as well.

Soldato
The first one can be worked around (or could on our SEATs a while back) via Vag-com. I'd be surprised if you can't turn off the second one as well.

I have tried recoding it, but for some reason it doesn't work :(

Most VAG cars have done that for over 20 years, my Bora had them. It's called a feature.

"it's not a bug, it's a feature" :p

Soldato
Renault Zoe?

My Octavia has a couple.

You sure you can't adjust all these things in the settings? In the Kodiaq you can.

Soldato
The cupholders. Well known across Porsche of this era, look amazing popping out of the dashboard but are mostly useless. Not nearly deep enough or grippy enough to be reliable and any spillage goes straight on to the stereo / climate control panel electronics / fancy leather stitching.

Soldato
You sure you can't adjust all these things in the settings? In the Kodiaq you can.

Only if you have the optional multifunction display, which my car doesn't have :(

You can still code them using VCDS, but for some reason the door unlocking doesn't save for my car :(

This is only a good thing really, especially if its a lone driver situation.

I honestly can't think of a single time where I've thought "You know, I really wish it was more awkward to get into my car"

Soldato
When you open the door, throw your bag onto the passenger seat, and some scrote opens it and runs off with it.

I guess it depends on how rough the area you live in is... my usual experience is one of the following:

Approach the car with an arm full of precariously balanced shopping, click button twice *oops you clicked too quickly* try to open passenger door, nothing happens. Look like an idiot trying to open a locked car. Drop shopping while fumbling with fob again, finally open door and pick up dropped shopping while grumbling about stupid design.

or

Click fob, forgetting about stupid design, get in car and wait for rest of family to get in car. 30 seconds later notice 10 year old banging on window. Remember about stupid design and push unlock button on centre console. Be greeted by dirty looks and grumbles from rest of family about stupid design.

or

Remember about stupid design. It's pouring with rain so click fob about 20 times to make sure all doors unlock and everyone can get in. Car thinks 20 clicks is actually you holding the button down and so decides to open all the windows resulting in interior of car getting soaking wet.

Man of Honour
The roof open/close first and final stage motor. BMW in their infinite wisdom employed the services of BOSCH. BMW then signed off on the use of a plastic motor shaft and gear cover tabs which, the more you open and close the roof, the more they wear and round off the shaft resulting in the roof basically getting stuck at the start and/or end of opening/closing. The housing cover for the motor also has a plastic top cover with plastic tabs, guess what? Those tabs rub against the gear cogs and wear out as well, it is actually those tabs tat wear first resulting in the gears slipping causing the motor shaft plastic to wear.

Only one man in the last 5 years or so in the USA decided he would permanently solve this issue by fabricating a top cover for the housing out of metal. This one cover cost £70+ shipping. I then had to buy a replacement motor too but thankfully that was around £37 for a BOSCH one direct from USA. You have to take the rear seats out to get to the whole thing might I add, and then it's a bit of faff taking the whole thing apart.

It was tedious enough not finding enough suitable info to track the issue down and exactly what needs replacing, so I did it all myself in a video to help others, which seems to have helped over 270 people so far :cool:

Back
Top Bottom