• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What is the Best GPU for Turn Based and Real Time Strategy Games?

Associate
For games like Civilization 6, Humankind, Stellar is or Sins if a Solar Empire what is the Best Graphics card?

Would a 3070 be best or would the 6700XT be better?

Would a 3060 or a 6650XT be sufficient?

Does more VRAM matter?

Last edited:
Soldato
VRAM won't matter on any 8GB+ card. Civ VI is part of TechPowerUp's benchmark suite, so you can look up reviews for those cards there for an idea of performance. What's sufficient will depend on your resolution and personal preference of course, but a 6650 XT gets 81fps even at 4K. Seems perfectly fine for such a game.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-radeon-rx-6650-xt-gaming-x/8.html

Last edited:
Associate
Many strategy games play well on a 4GB 6500xt which is why I bought mine. However, games like the latest Total War versions do want a more capable gpu for high resolutions and settings. I would recommend AMD as being more energy efficient if you play for long hours and the 6700 is around the price of a 6650xt, https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-3a1-sp.html
It will be much more than you need for most strategy games and you can use the power slider in the AMD software to reduce power usage, along with setting Radeon chill. Even with the 6500xt I usually have the power usage slider at a reduced setting

Last edited:
Associate
Honestly with stuff like stellaris, onboard graphics are good enough. Had no issue playing that on an M1 Macbook air and a Lenovo laptop with intel built-in (10th gen i5 I think?). So if your processor has an onboard GPU...

Humankind is the only one on your list that seems to want a bit of 'grunt' and that's happy with a 1060. IMHO set yourself a reasonable budget and buy whatever is available. Your basic 6600 will do you fine for those - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/powe...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1ad-pc.html

But if you've got a bit more money to spend then you could go up to a 6700. The 3060 seems like bad value in comparison, it performs like a 6600 but costs as much as the 6700. If you need to go nvidia for whatever reason that would be the card.

Or if you can stomach waiting a month or so, we have the AMD new product launch in November, and then black friday coming up, so you might find things are a bit cheaper towards the back of next month. But that's always a gamble and it's also about six weeks without a card!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Honestly with stuff like stellaris, onboard graphics are good enough. Had no issue playing that on an M1 Macbook air and a Lenovo laptop with intel built-in (10th gen i5 I think?). So if your processor has an onboard CPU...

Humankind is the only one on your list that seems to want a bit of 'grunt' and that's happy with a 1060. IMHO set yourself a reasonable budget and buy whatever is available. Your basic 6600 will do you fine for those - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/powe...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1ad-pc.html

But if you've got a bit more money to spend then you could go up to a 6700. The 3060 seems like bad value in comparison, it performs like a 6600 but costs as much as the 6700. If you need to go nvidia for whatever reason that would be the card.

Or if you can stomach waiting a month or so, we have the AMD new product launch in November, and then black friday coming up, so you might find things are a bit cheaper towards the back of next month. But that's always a gamble and it's also about six weeks without a card!
Was wanting to wait an see what the 7700XT would cost.

Associate
OP
That's very much overkill for any game in the genre you're mentioning. 7500xt will be overkill
Total War can require a bit more performance and normally I buy one level above what I need to give myself some headroom, so probably need 7600XT/3060, and go for, 7700XT/3070.

Associate
Total War can require a bit more performance and normally I buy one level above what I need to give myself some headroom, so probably need 7600XT/3060, and go for, 7700XT/3070.
Total War is an outlier in that genre, I didn't realise it was one of the games you would be playing, it's one of the very few higher graphics fighting RTS's around, most are low graphics tactical gameplay.. kinda like how Total War used to be... ah RTW you beautiful ******* - in that case you should get a 6600xt or 7500xt still...

People completely overestimate the importance of a graphics card for tactical/rts games, literally for all those you mentioned earlier and any paradox game, an onboard graphics card is good enough and any proper desktop graphics card will be completely cpu bound. My rx 470 8GB is cpu bound in all the games you mentioned originally and pdx games, and I can play Total War just fine, all at 1440p.

Everyone is saying the same thing here, but you really want a 7700xt, so that's the card you should get :p

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Total War is an outlier in that genre, I didn't realise it was one of the games you would be playing, it's one of the very few higher graphics fighting RTS's around, most are low graphics tactical gameplay.. kinda like how Total War used to be... ah RTW you beautiful ******* - in that case you should get a 6600xt or 7500xt still...

People completely overestimate the importance of a graphics card for tactical/rts games, literally for all those you mentioned earlier and any paradox game, an onboard graphics card is good enough and any proper desktop graphics card will be completely cpu bound. My rx 470 8GB is cpu bound in all the games you mentioned originally and pdx games, and I can play Total War just fine, all at 1440p.

Everyone is saying the same thing here, but you really want a 7700xt, so that's the card you should get :p
I am going on the assumption that there will be no 7600XT this year given the previous release schedule but I am open to a 6600XT/3060, price depending, yet if the 7000 series is well above the 6000 series, then I will consider a 7700XT, unless the 7600XT comes out or we get a timeframe for release.

Back
Top Bottom