What is the best tool for website creation?

Soldato
Hello.

I would like someone to do this for me, but hell, if there are tools about to make it a little less difficult, I'll give it a bash.

I have a site: www.myceevee.com that I whipped up on a flash template, but would like to properly do it all.

What would you recommend doing it in? Html or? And then what would be the best tool to use for the job?

I'm pretty handy, can work most things out.

If I really mess up, I'll subtly ask for contact details for someone that can fix my mess :D

Thanks

Associate
phpstorm.

Just looked up WebMatrix (never heard of it before), looks interesting :)

Also, for quickly prototyping something in a nice environment i use http://www.brackets.io an editor written by adobe and open source, nice and quick to get writing code and managing files (plus its free).

Edit: Oh, maybe I wont look at webmatrix just yet. On my work pc and it wants to restart it! no way! This PC has been on since October! not breaking that run :p

Last edited:
Associate
Just checked out Sublime and Brackets and I have to say that I'm really impressed by the pair of them. Just installed Brackets and liking the way the uto refresh works as well as the auto check browser CSS comptibility feature, that thing will help me to no end for real rapid template design.

Sublime though I have to admit that I never really had a look at as I'm too used to Dreamweaver, I'm so used to Dreamweaver's project management (which is second to none) that I've been sticking to it without looking at any others, but it seems that Sublime is doing some things that I wished Dreamweaver did and I'm simply in awe. Just downloaded it and installing it as we speak though hopefully productivity will go through the roof now. :)

Edit: Bah with Sublime I need to pay for it and I don't want to add to another hole in my pocket, guess I'll stick to Dreamweaver then. :\

On the other hand it is a fantastic piece of software with so many great features, but it's the project management features of Dreamweaver that I'll probably never find matched in the next year or so. It works just like Brackets except it actually updates the working files and the testing server files at the same time, plus I also like its syntaxing and more. Now if only it had some of those features that Sublime has...

Last edited:
Associate
Web Studio 5.0 web design software to create professional looking web sites in minutes.

As much as you can create a web site in a few minutes, actually properly doing it takes days let alone minutes. Making something professional takes weeks, months and years. Whenever I see these applications that say "create professional looking sites in minutes" I just have to laugh, most of the time they're also highly unoptimised, poorly coded, bloated, and don't adhere properly to web standards or use way too many images and have tables as layouts.

The best way to do things is one way and that's to code by hand. Sure it's not for everyone but if you don't do that then you won't learn anything.

Edit: On another note I've just done my first template fully in Brackets and I have to say that while there's some things that really need to be implemented (like word wrapping and code hiding), the speed at which I did the template was a good 4x faster due to having instant visualisation on what's happening. Amazing piece of software and can't wait for it to progress further. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Website Development Resources!

I recently purchased a personal license for PhpStorm, which extends upon the native HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript support of WebStorm with PHP. I recommend people to try the trial for themselves and also to check out the "Live Edit" plugin for Chrome which works with these IDEs.

I've picked out some of my bookmarked sites, hopefully these tools and resources can help others on here. :)

Frameworks / Coding related

- BootStrap

- Inuit.CSS

- Jekyll

- HTML5 Boilerplate

- UnSemantic [CSS - Successor to 960 Grid System]

- Syntactically Awesome Stylesheets

- Object Orientated CSS

- Block, Element, Modifier

Content Management

- Drupal

- Drupal Commerce