What is the current best phone?

Associate
Hi All

Super out of the loop on phones, I don't care about them that much, but my OnePlus6 has finally died after 6 and a half years, I tried replacing the screen but the same issue happened lest than a month later and now the bloody screen doesn't come on so i'm just going to get a new one.

Budget is around 800 (paid £650 for the OnePlus6) so factoring in Inflation it's about the same value.

Currently i'm looking at the OnePlus12 which is around £800 or I can get a Samsung S24 Ultra new and unlocked for £770, I know Pixel phones are supposed to be decent but the last time I was looking at a google phone I think they were called "Nexus" that's how long it's been!

But I don't know anything about phones as it's not an industry I follow, does anyone have any suggestions or idea what is best at the moment? I'm not bothered about waiting for new launches as realistically they will be way above my budget and I do need a phone now as my back up is a 10+ year old Moto which doesn't support hardly anything on the Play store now.

Not interested in iPhones.
Not interested in contract phones (as they're move expensive in the long run)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Best phone, and best phone for £800 are quite different things. ;)

For £800, something like the Xiaomi 14 Ultra is probably about as good as it gets. I expect most brands have a similar specced phone for similar price.

Best phone, and best phone for £800 are quite different things. ;)

For £800, something like the Xiaomi 14 Ultra is probably about as good as it gets. I expect most brands have a similar specced phone for similar price.

Not considered Xiaomi, how does that compare to the S24 Ultra? Because I know the S24 Ultra is a flagship, same as the OnePlus 12 both of which I can get for my budget?

Even if it's just android there are very different phones

Best camera phone
Best gaming phone
Best AI phone
Best overall phone
Etc

All different phones, no one phone is best at everything no matter the price

Last edited:
Even if it's just android there are very different phones

Best camera phone
Best gaming phone
Best AI phone
Best overall phone
Etc

All different phones, no one phone is best at everything no matter the price

Best overall is probably more suited for me atm i'm seriously considering the S24 Ultra @£770

OnePlus 12 deals

Or can get the Chinese version from here , only difference is no esim but can use adapter

Ill pass on that but thanks for the offer, the £550 would be a buy (I immediately went to do it!) unfortunately that's students only, so I can't get it.

With the Chinese Version there's only a £100 difference between that and the Ultra and Samsung have promised 7 years of support vs 4-5 that's a big selling point for me as my last phone I had well over 6 years.

I would have taken it for £550 though but student only :(

Ill pass on that but thanks for the offer, the £550 would be a buy (I immediately went to do it!) unfortunately that's students only, so I can't get it.

With the Chinese Version there's only a £100 difference between that and the Ultra and Samsung have promised 7 years of support vs 4-5 that's a big selling point for me as my last phone I had well over 6 years.

I would have taken it for £550 though but student only :(

You said £770 what memory and storage?

OnePlus 12 CN 12gb / 256gb £547.67
16gb/512gb £572.67 , 16gb/ 1tb £631.02

You said £770 what memory and storage?

OnePlus 12 CN 12gb / 256gb £547.67
16gb/512gb £572.67 , 16gb/ 1tb £631.02

12gb and 256gb so same as the Chinese one (110 more) £770 vs £657 but I think that's worth it for a few extra years of Android/Security support.

I don't know where you're getting £570 from, the website shows £657(unless the prices have just gone up)

12gb and 256gb so same as the Chinese one (110 more) £770 vs £657 but I think that's worth it for a few extra years of Android/Security support.

I don't know where you're getting £570 from, the website shows £657(unless the prices have just gone up)

You probably have euros set for currency at the top you can change it

Example for the 16gb/512gb below the 12gb / 256gb is £547.67, shipping is around £13 but if you join the newsletter you should get discount also if you browse around with cart added you usually get another discount code pop up

GuUR1Km.jpeg

umkE88L.jpeg

Last edited:
You probably have euros set for currency at the top you can change it

Example for the 16gb/512gb below the 12gb / 256gb is £547.67, shipping is around £13 but if you join the newsletter you should get discount also if you browse around with cart added you usually get another discount code pop up

GuUR1Km.jpeg

umkE88L.jpeg

Oh you were right I didn't even notice that was set to Euros XD

Considering how long you had the OP6 for, I would go either Pixel or Samsung as they have much longer software support. Can't go wrong with either of them.

Personally not really a fan of the current OP phones as OxygenOS is now sharing the same base as ColorOS, and Xiaomi's recent HyperOS is getting a lot of mixed reception. But this is just my personal preferences, you might be fine using them.

Hi All

Super out of the loop on phones, I don't care about them that much, but my OnePlus6 has finally died after 6 and a half years, I tried replacing the screen but the same issue happened lest than a month later and now the bloody screen doesn't come on so i'm just going to get a new one.

Budget is around 800 (paid £650 for the OnePlus6) so factoring in Inflation it's about the same value.

Currently i'm looking at the OnePlus12 which is around £800 or I can get a Samsung S24 Ultra new and unlocked for £770, I know Pixel phones are supposed to be decent but the last time I was looking at a google phone I think they were called "Nexus" that's how long it's been!

But I don't know anything about phones as it's not an industry I follow, does anyone have any suggestions or idea what is best at the moment? I'm not bothered about waiting for new launches as realistically they will be way above my budget and I do need a phone now as my back up is a 10+ year old Moto which doesn't support hardly anything on the Play store now.

Not interested in iPhones.
Not interested in contract phones (as they're move expensive in the long run)

Thanks!
What do you like to use the phone for? Just a general all rounder? I'd also personally stick with a Pixel or a Samsung device. (I have had OnePlus before however)

Perhaps a mid-range option if you don't need raw gaming power? The Samsung A55 5G 256GB is just £489 direct. 6.6" 1,000 nits 120Hz screen. 5,000mAh battery. IP67. 5G, WiFi6, Bluetooth 5.3. Security updates to 2028. No Wireless charging - and wired charge speed of 25w.

I've had my A54 5G for just over 18 months now. Been spot on. I don't game on it however. I did find a carrier issue - with a Three SIM, WiFi calling would not stay on. Moved to EE and that has fixed it and I get WiFi calling all the time.

I've used both oxygen and hyperos never understood the grapes both work fine for what I use phone for and run as quick as any other phone , guess it's preference also for me it's about getting as much hardware as possible for the money the OnePlus 12 was going £380 earlier in the year

But I would probably go with Samsung if you looking to keep it for a long time , I like that they offer long software support but would be great if they made the batteries easily to replace because after 3 years the health drop will probably be noticeable

The pixels from looking at battery life comparisons they are not as good so probably wouldn't be my choice

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom