WHat is this metal pipe?

Associate
Hello everyone, I discovered a metal pipe when preparing an area for slabs in our garden. I'm trying to figure out what it is.

These photos have been taken from the back of the house, looking at the garage building. Where you see a hole in the wall just above dirt level, that's where a hot and cold feed used to go from the main supply in the kitchen into the garage building (used to have a utility room).

Our water shut off valve is in the street at the front of our house and the water supply enters the house through the kitchen, I expect it goes straight from the front street to the kitchen. So I am stumped about what this metal pipe is for?

Does anyone know?
qQ06aE7.jpg
1GIMECt.jpg
qSB0dXy.jpg

Thanks.

Associate
OP
Except the water main shut off in the street is at the front of the house and you'd expect it to go directly from there to the kitchen, where it comes up through the floor and doesn't run in the same line as that pipe.

Soldato
Get a cable sensor (ie the ones you use before drilling holes in walls that can sense AC mains electricity). If it beeps then you know it's metal, if it beeps indicating AC mains you have a electrical conduit.

Associate
OP
Get a cable sensor (ie the ones you use before drilling holes in walls that can sense AC mains electricity). If it beeps then you know it's metal, if it beeps indicating AC mains you have a electrical conduit.
I think I have one somewhere.

Associate
OP
Possibly an old water supply pipe? Is there / was there another property behind your house?
This was the first house to be built on this site. It used to be fields for sheep. The garage was built a few years after the house and I noticed that rainwater pipe that I broke through used to go under the garage as well as to the right, but it was sealed about 6 inches under the garage. I do wonder whether this pipe will either do the same thing or it is the one for power to the garage.

Soldato
Except the water main shut off in the street is at the front of the house and you'd expect it to go directly from there to the kitchen, where it comes up through the floor and doesn't run in the same line as that pipe.

Are you semi detached? Not sure what age your house is, but not unusual for some older semi detached properties to share a water main. Shut off at the front, with the main running around the side and rear exterior of the properties.

Associate
While utility providers will provide maps of their services it will only show the general vicinity of them and direction of travel. If you got multiple services in the same area you will have to positively identify it by digging back or using a CAT & Genny to trace it. It may not be a utility service after all and could be related to the property.

From the photos it looks like steel pipe so could be gas, water or used as a conduit from a private cable.

Back
Top Bottom