What is this? New build boiler/plumbing related

Soldato
So after what feels like an eternity, the old ball and chain and I are moving into our own place very soon.

I was there last weekend measuring up some walls and taking photos of bits I was unhappy with when I wanted to check out the condition of our boilers pipe work.

Just under it is a magnetic filter, which is nice but to its right is a transparent polycarbonate like viewing window thing I’ve never seen before. Does anyone know what this could be? I only noticed it after I got back home and began looking through the photos.

CtCh31h.jpg

Caporegime
what are all the wires that go between each pipes actual purpose? my heating isn't working properly literally was heating like 10c and hour but now seems to be more like 2c an hour.

It used to heat to 50c in about 30 minutes....

I had a service before lockdown and I think it wasn't working properly since then.

I noticed 2 of the pipes have the wire but the 3rd wire coming from them isn't connected to anything.

Soldato
what are all the wires that go between each pipes actual purpose? my heating isn't working properly literally was heating like 10c and hour but now seems to be more like 2c an hour.

It used to heat to 50c in about 30 minutes....

I had a service before lockdown and I think it wasn't working properly since then.

I noticed 2 of the pipes have the wire but the 3rd wire coming from them isn't connected to anything.

In the OP's picture the wires are each ties to ensure all the piping is earthed.

It's a shame, given the neatness, that the OP's pumping didn't install a hammer arrestor. If you find that any cold water valves cause the boiler to intermittently kick in, then the water hammer shockwave is tripping the boiler flow sensor.

I just found mine doing that when I flushed the toilet this morning. The only thing that has changed is me plumbing in a new shower.. and the hot/cold pipes are correct and the check valves are correct. For me I'll put a hammer arrester on the toilet water supply to stop it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just noticed the replies. The arrestor (Sioux chief) is there but just off picture further down. At my parents place just down the road we don’t really use one as the water pressure isn’t so high in the first place to require one.

Arknor, as already stated the wires are just earthing for the pipes. They certainly won’t be related to your issue.

Caporegime
Just noticed the replies. The arrestor (Sioux chief) is there but just off picture further down. At my parents place just down the road we don’t really use one as the water pressure isn’t so high in the first place to require one.

Arknor, as already stated the wires are just earthing for the pipes. They certainly won’t be related to your issue.
yea I think air is inside the pump or the pipe just before but I can't really access the bleed screw on it.

everywhere is covered in security tags and what I assume are 2 pumps are covered in insulation that I doubt I could move without breaking 2 security strips some wires are running though so I can't really access the bleed screw on the pump to find out.

I don't own this place anyway and they have a 365days a year 24/7 emergency phone line so I'll just call them tomorrow.

Soldato
OP
yea I think air is inside the pump or the pipe just before but I can't really access the bleed screw on it.

everywhere is covered in security tags and what I assume are 2 pumps are covered in insulation that I doubt I could move without breaking 2 security strips some wires are running though so I can't really access the bleed screw on the pump to find out.

I don't own this place anyway and they have a 365days a year 24/7 emergency phone line so I'll just call them tomorrow.
Good luck sorting yours out. Our Valiant at my parents place where I currently reside is giving us grief from time to time as the pump (common fault) or the pressure sensor is intermittent!

Back
Top Bottom