What is wrong with my PC?!

Don
Right, I built up my new PC yesterday, it consists of...

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Mobo
AMD x2 4400+
ATI X1900XTX
2x 160Gb SATA2 Hdd's
OCZ 2Gb RAM

I installed Windows etc on the PC, and everything was ok untill i rebooted the PC, the PC was laying on its side (its a tower) and everytime I would put it in its upright position, it would freeze at the Asus logo on startup...
So to work it, the PC had to be on it's side...

After a while, it booted up ok in it's normal, upright position..Untill now. Everytime I turn the PC on, it either freezes at the mobo logo on startup or freezes at the Win XP screen (with the bar still loading across...as if its not froze)

I can't get into my PC at all, unless I use Safe mode, like I am now..

Any ideas? :confused:

open up your case and check every connection is secure, also check that your case is tidy and there arent loads of wires touching different components.

had the same problem when i built a A8N-E
is your drive set to sata 2? if so set it to sata 1 then load up windows
then install nvidia drivers then reboot, then set drive back to sata 2

windows xp sp2 can only manage sata 150 speeds until the enchaned driver is added for sata 2 e.g nivida chipset or intel.

always happens when you install xpsp2 the bar takes ages to load up once rebooted if drive is set as sata2

james32 said:
had the same problem when i built a A8N-E
is your drive set to sata 2? if so set it to sata 1 then load up windows
then install nvidia drivers then reboot, then set drive back to sata 2

windows xp sp2 can only manage sata 150 speeds until the enchaned driver is added for sata 2 e.g nivida chipset or intel.

always happens when you install xpsp2 the bar takes ages to load up once rebooted if drive is set as sata2

Well I have 2 hdd's, one SATA 1, the other SATA 2.

All the BIOS is set to default..

Like I said, it worked fine, installed my mobo drivers etc, graphics, WoW, and footy manager.
Restarted pc and all went wrong... :(

Check make sure all fans are spinning ok while the pc is in upright position,and that nothing is loose.

Raikiri said:
Sounds like the cpu cooler isnt connected propery and is pulling away from the cpu when the case is standing up making it overheat and freeze

What I thought could be a problem, however, i can't connect the heat sync to the cpu any better :(

Damn PC's

ThermalRight SI-120 (Socket 754/939/478) Heatsink (HS-023-TR)
Akasa AK-183-L2B Ultra Quiet 120mm Fan - 3 pin (FG-024-AK)

That's my cpu cooler btw.

It must be something not connected correctly though as the couple of times the PC has got into windows successfully, i played games etc and it was fine...

I will just have to take everything out tonight and ''try again''

Last edited:
Raikiri said:
I was thinking that, if it is a BTX case the heatpipes used on the northbridge cooling would not work.

Yeh if it summot inverted lik lian li cases then the heat pipe tech dont work so the morth bridge dont work then over heat so comes less stable

Raikiri said:
I was thinking that, if it is a BTX case the heatpipes used on the northbridge cooling would not work.

kinggost said:
Yeh if it summot inverted lik lian li cases then the heat pipe tech dont work so the morth bridge dont work then over heat so comes less stable

They asked about the type of case because of the above. Not because they felt you should buy another one. Some cases place the mobo upside down & then mobos like yours with heatpipes dont work correctly. They thought if yours was the same then maybe this was the cause of your problem.

Last edited:
Why would the heat pipe's not work correctly?

Like I said, i had another ASUS A8N32 board in this PC before, along with a FX55 and a PCI-E 7800GTX...All worked fine.

I was only saying, if i did need a new case, what would you recommend, although thats a last priority at moment; a new case.

The cool-pipe heat sink needs to be positioned in an ATX format (heat sink on bottom and radiator on top). It seems there is water or some other liquid in the pipe. As it heats up, it needs to rise to the top of the radiator for cooling by the back case fan. When installed upside down, physics is against you for cooling the heat pipe.

So you can't install any motherboard with heatpipes into an inverted case design.

Cant say i am familiar with the case, but if when installed your mobo has the heat sink on the bottom and the radiator on top, then you have no problems (ie case & mobo are fine), then at least you can rule that out. I was just pointing out what the others guys stated. If however the above is not true & the radiator is at the bottom, then you do have a problem. You will need to check this.

Back
Top Bottom