1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What ISP to go for.

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by Graffix, 4 Jun 2006.

1. Graffix

Gangster

Ok my AOL contract is finishing very soon :D so ive decided i want to go to another ISP as ive heard all the news and stuff about them. Ive had a look at sam knows and i can get:

BT Wholesale ADSL
    BT Wholesale ADSL Max
    BT Wholesale SDSL
    Bulldog LLU
    Homechoice LLU
    Telewest Cable

Whats the best out of them, i have a pretty heavy internet user and game quite often so i would need a fast speed.

Thanks alot in advanced.

Tom

2. tolien

Caporegime

Doubt you'll want to pay SDSL prices for starters...

3. Graffix

Gangster

nope not really looking into SDSL :)

4. bbreezeuk

PermaBanned

Telewest hands down, i had it but moved house so had to go with AOL :mad: but the connection was solid and we never had a problem in the 2 years we had the service

5. tolien

Caporegime

BTw ADSL (including Max) has a choice of dozens of ISPs, with varying degrees of usefulness.
    ADSLguide is your friend. Same applies to Bulldog/Homechoice, except you're stuck with them as ISP (and for Bulldog at least, your voice service too).

Cable's a totally different ball game, for one you don't have the same distance dependence. Stuck with one ISP though.

6. Stellios

Capodecina

Telewest would be my winner, my mates on 10mb and he seems to have minimal bother even when doing in excess of 200GB a month.

7. ArmoVanBuuren

Hitman

Telewest for me 10gb uncapped, excellent service, never had any down time in a year

8. Mercutio

Soldato

Another vote for telewest - shame I cant get them where i am :( considering moving house (only renting) to get in a telewest area again :)

Considering the deals they do with good cable tv packages they well worth a look.

9. andrewbell1984

PermaBanned

10gb ? i wish i had that sort of speeds :eek:! you mean 10mb ? lol

10. Graffix

Gangster

oke i may have to look into telewest, seeing as my road was one of the first roads in london to be layed with the cables for them ;) for adsl max it says i live like 1.7 km away from the exchange so what speeds should i apect for say a 8mb service?

11. tolien

Caporegime

Somewhere between nothing and 8Mbps. Distance is worthless, the straight line distance Samknows quotes even more so.

12. Graffix

Gangster

well it says i should get 5.5mbps but i dunno :rolleyes: oh well ive got about 2 months left so ill just make my decision near the end, thanks for all the help guys

13. Beenom

Hitman

If you know your line stats (which can be gotten from your router)

A better guess of what you can get is this checker:

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/maxspeed.php

I think you should be able to get much more than 5.5mbps considering your distance. But it all depends on the exchange contention and also your line stats. :)