What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Over the last few months when I've had a bit of time to spare I've been working on setting up a little workshop in my garden. It's only small but it's better than doing projects in my kitchen!

In January the shed arrived:It's 7x5 Pent shed from Skinner's Sheds and I have to say I'm impressed with the quality, it feels really sturdy and is well finished and had a vapour barrier included inside.

I set about insulating and boarding it to make it a nice environment to work in.

I managed to get hold of some old kitchen units and worktop from family and friends which gave me enough to create storage and a work bench. Once that was in place I could start trying to organise tools etc into place, I've still got a long way to go but I've been using it and getting a feel for where I want things to be placed to make it an intuitive place for me to work.

I still need to put down some anti-fatigue flooring type stuff to make it comfortable to be stood in there for long period and I need to sort out a more permanent electricity source than an extension lead though that will have to wait until I can get al electrician in at some point.

I've also got plans for lighting and of course speakers - got to have music and podcasts to listen to while I work.

I have got myself a nice little drill press which sits nicely on the worktop near the window and a baby table saw which is small enough to tuck away in once of the drawers.

I'm currently looking into options for organising the drawers to give myself as much useful storage as I can to give as many tools as possible an actual home so I can keep it today which will be vital for working in such a little space.
Looks awesome, fair play. Is that a doorbell lol?

Also -5 points for the weird alignment on the pegboards. I guess you did the left one then the right two? :p

Associate
Stacked our log delivery from

IMG-20210922-082608-01.jpg

To

IMG-20210922-190457.jpg

ooh that's nice and tidy.
Did they come numbered or did you do the pattern yourself ? :D:p

Soldato
Looks awesome, fair play. Is that a doorbell lol?

Also -5 points for the weird alignment on the pegboards. I guess you did the left one then the right two? :p
Nah it's a spinny thing to hold the door closed, though it does look like a doorbell! :D

Yep, that's exactly right re the peg boards, but it doesn't bother me thankfully. At some point there will be a soldering station on the worktop in front of the left one and the drill press is in front of the right two so it doesn't show really now. :)

Soldato
Aye, the big wall is still papered with the original lining paper. I've removed 4 layers of wallpaper above it. I'm nervous to take the paper off this bit to be honest.

The side on shot is to the right of the mirror, it's not in shot but gives an example of what I expect to be under the paper.

I'm reading I can apply bonding plaster with a roller, is that the case? As that's reassuring!

As someone who has rectified similar issues with a renovation recently do it properly. You don't want to be apply any new coating over paper. Get it all stripped. Properly assess the wall and then refinish it depending on condition.

You likely want to prepare the mating surface anyway to properly key it...something like thistlebond.

Associate
Here are some photos;

The first one shows the blue colour which is the original wall. The second picture shows what I imagine is the original lining paper. I'm loathe to take more of this off as where it has come off reveals the wall isn't in a great condition. You'll also note I have an archway which is partly wood which scares me as well!
I'm putting a non-functioning fireplace behind where the sofa is, so I'm not that fussed about making that look particularly good as it'll be hidden but I really ought to do the whole thing right I suppose.

Wall2.png

Wall.png

I'm thinking about buying this and giving it a go: https://www.diy.com/departments/toupret-plasterer-s-kit/3178310014219_BQ.prd
similar position house is early 1900s hallway and stairs quite cathartic stripping off the wall paper till i found some of the polyfilla repairs i did 25 years ago....we were young then and just papered over the cracks:))))) now had to rectify them use the 5 mm deep filler from screwfix about 11 quid a tub and some premixed filler from them.
plasterers....yeah right try getting hens teeth had one quote ..600 pounds for a days plastering ..could fit you in maybe next march if my other jobs go ok. others never ring back to quote...
decided do it the best i can and if its not perfect well one day the next owner will probably rip it all off anyway:)

also looked at screwfixs lining paper about 4 pound something a roll good reviews and was tempted i must admit.

oh and a similar vein roof tile replacement yes that saga continues i reckon these tradesmen all drink at the same pub...why advertise you want work and then when rang come up with excuses like can take you on till end of june..or just going on holiday will ring when i get back...yeah..
ill be on the news soon..60 year old falls from roof fitting roof tiles grrrrr

Last edited:
Associate
Trying to patch up masonry where the plaster has blown back to the brick, is tricky to hide smoothly - especially if you intend to paint (easier to cover with wallpaper).
Always better to get re-skimmed if you can.

Associate
Simple job that turned into a bigger job - changed the toilet seat in the en-suite after eldest daughter split the old one climbing on it to close the window.

Is a fully built in suite, so had to remove the pan to get to the fixings for the seat, on re-assembly couldn't stop the flush pipe leaking at the joint with the pan, cue a trip to Screwfix for a new flush pipe pan connector, all good now though.

So what should have been a ten minute job turned into 2 hours.

Soldato
Is a fully built in suite, so had to remove the pan to get to the fixings for the seat, on re-assembly couldn't stop the flush pipe leaking at the joint with the pan, cue a trip to Screwfix for a new flush pipe pan connector, all good now though.

Surely you should have just used top fixings? I've never heard of someone removing the pan to fit a new seat!

Associate
Surely you should have just used top fixings? I've never heard of someone removing the pan to fit a new seat!

Old one was fixed with conventional fixings so had no choice, original installer must have fitted the seat before installing the pan (suite was in before we moved in so had no involvement in the spec).

Back
Top Bottom