What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Why, whats wrong with the slates? Looks all flat and level/inline to me?
The slate closest to you, bottom right in the picture - is not lying true to the slates above it. There is a ... 15mm gap? There are a few stray nails too.

It has made boarding difficult as unless I cut into the slates, it leaves a gap. Painting it black has given me a bit of a get out of jail free card.

Soldato
Installed Hive yesterday.
Existing thermostat gave up and died whenever you wanted to change the temperature. Changing the batteries didn't help.
I think the old remote sensor connected to the boiler was welded to the wall, had to resort to brute force to remove it.

I'm not a fan of electrics, find it too fiddly to get multiple small wires into the same contact. The missus took over as she has more patience and smaller fingers than me.

Rest of the set up was simple and it's all working great. Nice to have heating again.

Soldato
I installed some loft lighting over the weekend but managed to screw it up a bit. It all works lovely but I was supposed to have a rose every other joist. However I cut the wires about 10cm short for 4 of the 5 roses because I didn't account for the path the wire had to take :rolleyes:

It doesn't really matter to be honest, it lights up the loft beautifully with ~4000 lumens but it's annoying me to the point where I might rewire it because I can't let things like that go :rolleyes:

Soldato
I installed some loft lighting over the weekend but managed to screw it up a bit. It all works lovely but I was supposed to have a rose every other joist. However I cut the wires about 10cm short for 4 of the 5 roses because I didn't account for the path the wire had to take :rolleyes:

It doesn't really matter to be honest, it lights up the loft beautifully with ~4000 lumens but it's annoying me to the point where I might rewire it because I can't let things like that go :rolleyes:
:cry: I did my kitchen downers a while back and 2 of them have zero give - like I had just enough wire to make it safe. I literally had a dream last night about dropping them and putting a new run in, so should the new owner need to service them it is much much easier.

Soldato
Fitted new locks to the patio doors after the wife snapped the key off in the lock.

Ended up having to change the entire system as well as the barrel as it snapped part of the internal gearbox at the same time.
As the old lock fitted was now obsolete ended up changing the keep as well to match the new fittings

Saved myself a couple of hundred quid in getting a locksmith in plus learned a few new things :D

Soldato
Fitted new locks to the patio doors after the wife snapped the key off in the lock.

Ended up having to change the entire system as well as the barrel as it snapped part of the internal gearbox at the same time.
As the old lock fitted was now obsolete ended up changing the keep as well to match the new fittings

Saved myself a couple of hundred quid in getting a locksmith in plus learned a few new things :D
That sometimes simple jobs are anything but:cry:.

Soldato
Wired up 2 x Nest 3rd Gen thermostats to my dual zone CH system and wired both therms to house electrics.

Was actually relatively straight forward once I had worked out the wiring center, valves etc and just rejigged it with extra connections meaning it's easy enough to undo should I need to.

Filled, sanded and painted the old holes from old thermostats so I didn't have to use the big daft Nest covers to cover the old holes.

Saved probably £70 or so from getting someone to do it and took my time to get it bang on. Also learnt how my CH system works :)

Soldato
Wired up 2 x Nest 3rd Gen thermostats to my dual zone CH system and wired both therms to house electrics.

Was actually relatively straight forward once I had worked out the wiring center, valves etc and just rejigged it with extra connections meaning it's easy enough to undo should I need to.

Filled, sanded and painted the old holes from old thermostats so I didn't have to use the big daft Nest covers to cover the old holes.

Saved probably £70 or so from getting someone to do it and took my time to get it bang on. Also learnt how my CH system works :)

Is that an S-plan system? I changed my s-plan from dual timers to a single unit the other day. It was straight forward but as you say, you have to know how your CH system works

Soldato
No idea what kind of plan TBH.

Combi boiler which runs the CH and HW on demand (no HW tank, the boiler comes on when a tap is opened)

CH is 2 zones which uses Danfoss valves that call for heat. Thermostat switches on, this opens a valve making the water flow and the boiler turns on.

Both valves and old thermostats were wired through a wiring centre. I just used the extra spaces in the wiring centre to connect my Nest Heatlinks into it and moved some other wires around to ensure everything was powered the correct way..

Soldato
Used my new compound to chop down some 2x4s strapped together (so essentially 4x4), much better than my dad's ****** hand mitre saw. Well worth the money (although I only got a cheap one for 100 quid or so).

Back
Top Bottom